upgrade motor

aintright11

Recruit
i have a 18ft pontoon it's rated fot a 50 hp,i have a 25 merc 2 stroke now,i would really like a 50 but in the mean time i've found a 25 merc 4 stroke with a big foot lower for 1500. will i see and drifference in the 2 or 4 stroke also my wife and i just putt around so speed isn't a big deal as far as the 25 tom a 50 i just figuure for legenth in crusing time would be better on the motor,thank yall have a BLESSED DAY.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: upgrade motor

Assuming the presaent motor is running well;
the big foot will resist venting(cavitation)better.Slip numbers may be better and a slight speed improvement.Any fuel use difference would probably have to be measured with a flow meter.
Keep in mind the 4 stroke will be heavier,has many,many more moving parts and more service intervals.Sometimes 4 strokes that spend a lot of time running slow will make oil.Do a search
You'll see how this happens. If shes running good stick with it put the 1500 toward a 50 when its time.
Your right about the a 50.When running at the 25s speed the 50 will be loafing, runnig slower is is even easier on it.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: upgrade motor

The 4 stroke will be much quieter, better on fuel, and you won't have the smoke that you get from a 2 stroke. It will be slightly heavier and slightly slower. If you don't want speed it will be a good fit. Your choice.