NS40 problem trimming in

puffulufogous

Recruit
I have a 1989 Nissan 40D outboard that I purchased used just recently. When I try to trim in it will not work. Trimming out works fine. When I try to trim in I hear a single click. Going on advice of a friend I replaced the relay which did not change anything. There are no obvious frays in the wire. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: NS40 problem trimming in

Jump across the relay to bypass it. If the trim works it is a bad relay. What part number did you use for the replacement relay?

puffulufogous

Recruit

I do not know how to bypass it. Sorry, I am new to engine repair/maintenance but am learning as I go. I replaced it with a part from my dealership that looks exactly like the old one. I installed it just how the old one was installed. Up until a few days ago, the trim worked fine in both directions, so I doubt it is the wiring. Could it be possible that one of my wires from the relay to the trim motor is bad? I appreciate your response. If its still necessary I can find the exact part number they gave me. I just don't have it right in front of me.

pvanv

Admiral

The relay allows a low-current (small wire) switch to control a high-current (fat wire) device (such as the pump). If you have a single-solenoid system, you should find a fat power wire going to the relay, and two fat wires to the pump. One is for UP and the other is for DOWN. If you jumper from the power wire to UP, the motor should tilt... likewise, if you jumper to the DOWN wire, the motor should lower. Keep in mind that the 40D2 has two relays. If that is your setup, you could have changed the good relay with a new one, but left the bad one untouched. Assuming your relay is good, and wired correctly, you could have a poor connection at the pump motor, or a poor crimp connection. The wiring diagram is in your Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What Paul said and add the following. To jump the relay just make a connection across the two visible poles with anything that conducts electricity. It won't hurt you. I usually just grab the first pair of pliers that I see and use those.

puffulufogous

Recruit

Each relay has a small wire and a ground running to it. On the in trim, the wire is pink. On the out, sky blue. I replaced the relay with the pink wire. The fat wire out of the in trim is green, the one from the out trim in blue. Are yall saying jump from pink to green? I just want to be clear before I electrocute myself.

pvanv

Admiral

Review youe wiring diagram, which is in the Factory service manual. Of the fat tilt/trim pump motor wires, blue is up, green is down. Jumpering the fat red to the respective motor wire should cause it to move that way. Keep in mind that the solenoids also provide ground to the opposite (non-energized) lead of the pump motor. So don't jumper 12v to ground, or all you will get is a huge spark, and possibly a very hot, or melted, jumper wire.