Going to look at a new toy.....

djtrixx

Cadet
Hi all, need some advice..

I'm going to be looking at a '98 Searay 190 br. I've had absolutely NO experience with "fun" boats, I've only owned fishing boats over the years, and don't consider myself to be a complete newbie when it comes to water. I've just never had a I/O or anything more than an 18' with a 115 on it.:facepalm:

That said, I'd like to get something to play with a little bit, ski / tube, etc. I found a guy asking $5900 for the boat, supposedly only needs a fuel pump and a good cleaning. (yup, heard that one before) She's got a 5.0 EFI merc alpha 1. Pros / Cons? Anything specific to look for? Does the price seem in line? What to expect for approx top speed?
I don't want to completely blow my $$$, any advice would be welcomed.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Going to look at a new toy.....

I would definetley do a water test on it and check the floors if they are wood.

nlain

Commander

If it needs a fuel pump and a good cleaning to be ready to go then he should do that before showing it to you. How long has it sat with no use, how old is the gas in the tank, is there water in the gas, is there water in the engine oil, is there water in the outdrive oil, when were these fluids last changed, how old are the bellows. Just a few things I can think of right quick. The 5.0L and Alpha drive are both good units and should last a long time it they have been cared for properly. Approximate top speed should be near 50.

cr2k

Captain

After the long cold winter we just had I would NOT even consider an offer on a boat that I couldn't run. My thinking is if it didn't run it probably wasn't winterized and could very well have a cracked block. Check oil, run, check oil again. Pull drive plug check for water.

It's just too scary to buy blind.

Price depends on area. Seems a little high to me, but that could be compared to my area.
For that price it should be running and clean. If they didn't fix the fuel pump, what else did they "let go"? Normal maintenance? Hours mean little compared to how it was run/cared for during those hours. If you can see a water line inside the bilge that is as high as the starter, it will need one soon.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

"Just needs a battery and/or starter" = doesn't run
"needs a fuel pump" = doesn't run right and we have no idea why
"ran great last time it was used" = hasn't been used in a decade

djtrixx

Cadet

lol thanks for all your replies. I went, I saw, I saved myself $5900. It really only took me about 5 minutes once I was there. The guy brought his little ankle biter dog up in the boat with us, and proceeded to p!$$ on th carpet. He actually started laughing and told me the dog does it all the time 'cause he gets excited and wants to go out on the lake. He then proceeded to stamp out his cigarette on the carpet as well. I didn't even get a chance too look at the engine or ask questions.....:D I found another boat I like, though and will be asking questions about that as well.