Low Compression

speterson1011

Seaman
All four cylinders are reading 50LBS. This is tested at full throttle. Boat runs like ****. Spark plugs are good. Possibly blown head gaskets or pistion failure? Thanks

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Low Compression

50psi is low, post year and model # better to help resolve your issues!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Not too likely head gaskets both sides are blown. Maybe just worn out parts (rings/bores, etc.). Did you test with all plugs out? If not, you may have had too slow cranking speed.

speterson1011

Seaman

Its a 2000 90HP Johnson 4 cyl 2 stroke. Yes I tried it with all spark plugs out. I first tried it without the throttle in WOT and it still read near 50lbs on each one. No more than a 2 or 3 lb difference. It was recently overheating and my alarm wasnt working so Im thinking maybe I cooked the piston before I found out? Thanks everyone

levi_tsk

Ensign

pop the heads off and inspect the bores if its scarred up youll need a complete teardown if it looks good try new headgaskets and retest

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

50# psi is low. Going to have to pull head and check for internal damage.IE> scored cylinders, cracked cylinder, worn rings and such.

levi_tsk

Ensign

does this one have removable transfer ports? if so you can inspect the rings from there...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just for the heck of it I'd try a different compression gauge first as they sometimes lie. You may have other probs seeing it runs like crap.

speterson1011

Seaman

Ok I tried a new compression gauge. Guess what. The one I was using is no good. Starboard top cyl I got 128lbs bottom star. 120lb top port 100lb and bottom port 120lbs. I tried each cylinder 4 times exactly and got the same number each time. I'm going to try taking the head a part on the port side and hope it is a gasket maybe? I will be sure to look for any damage. Would putting a table spoon of oil in the top port side cyl thats low maybe work to show if its just a bad ring possibly? or not worth trying?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you put a little oil in the cylinders and the compression comes up, it is usually a sign of a ring problem.
You might want to do a real good decarb job and see if it helps the compression come up.

speterson1011

Seaman

Yah definitely good call Boobie. Both gaskets are blown. It just looks like it metal on metal. The pistons look good and the piston walls

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wonderful. clean it all up and new head gasket/s, and let us know how you make out!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post some picts of the head gaskets??

speterson1011

Seaman

Well this is interesting. Come to find out there isnt head gaskets on my motor the dealer is saying. It uses a o ring system around the end of the piston walls and then you pop the head back on. I will post pictures, so I'm hoping just those o-rings are bad possibly. I guess that explains why there was no signs of much of a head gasket there

levi_tsk

Ensign

yeah i just looked and youre right ... theyre only 5 bux each on marineengine.com though ... thats a new one on me but its not surprising that they went to that .... the thing i dont get is that they are made of rubber - id have thought theyd do em in copper like on a diesel engine ... doesnt seem like rubber would hold up to the heat and pressure

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This is why it's always good to have the exact model # off the mtr when starting a thread. Those orings very rarely go bad. I think I've seen one mtr in the last ten yrs where an oring caused a prob.

speterson1011

Seaman

Yah I'm going to see if thats the problem tomorrow but I'm doubting it as well. The piston is clean looking so it looks like water is definitely getting in there and washing it out but the cyl under it is scorched but still has great compression. This side of the motor was the side that had a bad thermostat. That's why I was hoping it would of been the o rings but I talked to a few people and they said maybe it's something to do with a cracked exhaust port or something like that. Where it pees out the back of the motor, the two holes on each side of that dumps out water every now and then when running. Is that normal by any chance? the model is J90PLSIF and the serial number is GO491854

speterson1011

Seaman

I'm putting the new o rings in now. Everything looks fine. Piston rings and all, I hope this is it

speterson1011

Seaman

The new orings did not solve my problem. Looks like im back to the searching