1984 Evinrude 140 Help

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice
I am happy to have found such an awesome site! Here is my problem. My Dad has always had problems with the idle on our 1984 evinrude 140 from the day he purchased it brand new. We were always told that you have to warm the old 2 strokes up really good but I dont think it ever sat and ideld with the little idle bar all the way down for more then a minute or two in its life. Anyways, It always ran well when in use. Lately it has been very sluggish and stalling during use. We slowly made our way home last night. I think its time for some new plugs, plug wires, and some sea foam in the tank. I think I also need a new battery or perhaps a starter as its not catching the motor on every turn of the key. Any ideas on what this starting problem could be would also be a huge help. Anyways, my local dealer has the new plugs in stock but no wires. After calling around it sounds like there is no spacific set of wires for this model but just individual plug wires and boots. My boat is at the cabin (an hour away) and I would like to know if I can just buy some individual aftermarket marine plug wires for this motor?

The model number is E140TLCRD

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Evinrude 140 Help

sounds like you might wanna take the carbs apart and clean them good or rebuild them.you can buy aftermarket ones.under marine store at top it can be found.i use marineengine.com.put in model number and there you go.all parts for the motor

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the info. I will definatly do that if the new plugs, wires, and sea-foam dont help. I am looking at the quick (cross my fingers) approach but I know I will probably have to do the carbs. Any idea on the plug wires? I am looking to replace and the only info I have so far is that they are standard wires and boots.

levi_tsk

Ensign

MAKE sure you get a mallory kit or go on ebay and get one from BRP the sierra kits are junk and get one WITH a float

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can make your own wires, just use copper core plug wire from a auto parts store and cut to lenth. If you go to a dealer the part number for the plug wires are 582365.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys !

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Daviet I cant thank you enough for the part number. I have 4 new plug wires on the way. I hope the new plugs and wires solve my bogging and stalling. I am going to run some "sea foam" through to see if that helps any as well. I sure dont want to start fiddling with the carbs. I would like to set the idle a little higher as it gets pretty low when the idle bar is all the way down. Perhaps it will now run on that low idle when we get the new plugs and wires installed. But my Dad has stated that the motor never liked to idle from day 1 when he bought it brand new. Perhaps I can buy new carbs instead of tinkering with the ones I know nothing about. Any ideas or help would be welcomed with open arms. I just love this site. Everyone is so helpful :)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You may want to check the compression also. There should be no problems overhauling the carbs, I don't think you would like the price of new carbs if they were still offered.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I will check the compression. I know the carbs have never been overhauled before. Do you think that the sea foam could do the trick? Would I need a kit to overhaul the carbs?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No, sea foam will help keep a fuel system clean, but it will not clean the carbs internally. Yes, you should install new gaskets when you overhaul your carbs.

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

carb rebuildkit are :Carb Kit 18-7046 around 15 bucks.it is easy to rebuild.use the schematics on the pages i had stated above.#13 is the high speed orfice(jet) make sure you take a bread tie with plastic off n put it thru these n spray with carb cleaner good.if u have any question just ask.we are here.

levi_tsk

Ensign

Daviet I cant thank you enough for the part number. I have 4 new plug wires on the way. I hope the new plugs and wires solve my bogging and stalling. I am going to run some "sea foam" through to see if that helps any as well. I sure dont want to start fiddling with the carbs. I would like to set the idle a little higher as it gets pretty low when the idle bar is all the way down. Perhaps it will now run on that low idle when we get the new plugs and wires installed. But my Dad has stated that the motor never liked to idle from day 1 when he bought it brand new. Perhaps I can buy new carbs instead of tinkering with the ones I know nothing about. Any ideas or help would be welcomed with open arms. I just love this site. Everyone is so helpful :)

i was afraid to a carb before i did the first one but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy its just a half dozens screws a couple gaskets and two or three core plugs the biggest part is making sure you get everything REALLY clean soakeach carb and its respective parts in carb dip overnight reassemble and your done once you get over the fear of the first one youll see its pretty damn easy
and like i said DO NOT GET A SIERRA CARB KIT youll be REALLY dissapointed, theyre cheap for a reason

and dont be jamming bread ties down in the jets or anything in the jets for that matter - its a really bad idea use compressed air if it doesnt come out like that soak it longer...

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Would I need 4 kits? And when I search the 18-7046 it seems to to be for a 77-83 and there is a different kit for 85-90. 1984 is missing in action on the iboats part site. I just dont want to order the wrong kit.

emoney

Commander

Yup, each carb needs a gasket. The kits include alll the floats, jets, etc. If your are all in good shape after you take them apart and clean them, then you really only need the gaskets (most times). Here's a link to everything you could ever need on your carbs with specific part #s. Shop the prices;
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...LCRD&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Carburetor
Once you do one, you'll see they're not that bad. Just remember where everything goes when you take it apart and set up a system to identify and lable the steps to removal and follow that backwards when its time to reassemble.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Ok here is an update. I have installed the new plugs, wires, and marine battery. The motor seems to start way better and idol for longer. The motor runs good when I keep the throddle fairly low but when I put the throddle down past a certain point the motor will run like a dream for 20 seconds and then bog down to a near stand still sometimes stalling all together. I have also tried pumping the fuel ball and its always hard as a rock. The fuel pump was replaced a year or two ago. I know that you have all stated it must be the carbs and I definatly think you are all correct. I am in luck as I just found out my best friends father in law is a master with all carbs. I will order the 4 kits and take it to him and try and learn as well by watching him. I just want to be sure to get the correct kit. As I have stated above the carb kits seem to skip 1984. Can anyone confirm that 18-7046 will be the correct kit for my carbs? If anyone also has any advice about my problem please let me know. I am happy to look at all avenues!

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent thanks. I will order 4 kits. I asked my father about the fuel pump he replaced and he advised me that he had replaced the old one with a used one. Do you know a part number on a pump I should get to replace it? I have heard lots of people have problems with these evinrude fuel pumps. I want to replace everything I can at once so I dont have to take it out of the water til the fall.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory fuel pump supercedes to 5007423. It is currently on national backorder at Bombardier. About $ 406.00. You have 2 carbs on that engine. You should need 2 carb kits. The factory carb kit with floats is supercedes to 439076. About $ 30. You may find the factory parts breakdowns helpful to find parts. You can look them up yourself. They are on the web at: epc.brp.com

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can order the OEM fuel pump from Mar-Fab part #558-559 for $425.
Replaces Part Numbers 5004558, 5007420, 5004559, 5007423
Eliminate Inventory Costs with this one simple kit (excluding) 2 cyl and 3 cyl 60HP TTL). This kit contains all the newest BRP O.E.M. parts and carries factory warranty. Our 558-559 kit fits all Johnson or Evinrude Outboard 3 Cyl, V-4, V-6 and V-8 Engines with 3 or 4 Wire Pumps. All needed hardware and instructions are included in the kit. This kit contains the latest pump from Bombardier (Evinrude/Johnson), and replaces all previous part numbers. Note that there have been issues with previous part numbers that the factory has addressed with this latest pump included in the 558-559 kit.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

WoW.. Thanks for the info. I sure hope I can get this motor running right. I had to spudder home at 11pm again last night, it really had me worried. Thank god my dad was there to lift the starter drive because it hasnt been inguaging well. Not sure how I can fix that. Its one thing after another with this motor lol. Up here in Northern Manitoba, Canada we only get so much summer and I dont want to waste it with motor problems. I tried to save some cash by putting this 84 we had on my new 2011 pontoon boat and I guess im paying the price lol. I sure hope I can make it through this season and pick up a 115 yamaha 4 stroke for next season. Ohh yea. I was also told I should change the thermostat and seats while im at it, so if anyone has a part number on that it would be great.