In and out of gear

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice
First off, I am not sure I know the proper terminology so bear with me. I have a 1986 OMC 3.0 with and OMC Cobra outdrive. I had the motor and outdrive off to rebuild the transom. I am now finished, but can't get the shifting ironed out.<br /><br />I have searched and followed the common adjustment procedure found on this site. I have adjusted 'til I'm blue in the face (outdrive off/on 9 times one Sunday) and here is the problem...<br /><br />When the outdrive is removed, the shift cable comes through on the right side and attaches to a pivot arm that moves the outdrive in/out of gear. The pivot arm sits into a notch on the top of the shifter cable. When I put the outdrive on, and shift into forward, it goes OK. Then I shift to reverse, and it won't shift back out. <br /><br />What is happening, is that pivot arm is coming out of the notch on the shifter cable, and then the other end sits on top of the shifter lever for the outdrive, causing it to stay in reverse. The shifter cable kind of "drops down" a bit, and allows the pivot arm to ride high, and when you go back into forward, the end of the shifter cable slides under the pivot arm.<br /><br />I thought that asjusting the shift linkage would cure this, but so far it hasn't. Any ideas? Should that notch in the shifter cable have some kind of "indent" or "ridge" to keep the pivot arm in place?<br /><br />This is all I lack getting the boat back in the water.<br /><br />Thanks!

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: In and out of gear

Jay, used the search feature and found some hits on your topic. Click the red search button at top of page and search "OMC shift adjustment" ;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Had one do the same thing. Turned out the owner removed the drive and allowed it to drop down a bit and break the shift cable.the arm you mention rides on a rigid tube.if this arm moves up and down the cable is damaged and needs replacement.

tryan

Seaman

don, is that just relating to the bravo copy of the volvo drive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tom<br />It has absolutly nothing to do with Volvo or the Mercruiser Bravo drive at all. It's only about the OMC Cobra drive.

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Blk-n-Blu & Don S,<br />Thanks for the links. I had already done the adjusments, to no avail. I had printed out the link posted by Don and laminated it so it wouldn't ever get torn up :) <br /><br />Bt Doctor, That sounds like what it might be...however, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing...where the shift cable exits from the boat, there is a nylon piece on the end. It's about 3 inches long, with an adjustment screw on the end. The "arm" sits in a notch on the top of this nylon piece. The arm is then secured to the outdrive mount (where is pivots) and then the other end goes into the shift mechanism of the lower unit. <br /><br />It is where is sits into the nylon piece that keeps falling out. With the unit in reverse (the cable all the way out) the nylon piece (and cable) have some slack which allows them to move up and down. It's just enough to allow the pivot arm to fall out. Are we referring to the same thing? Should there be something else rigid to keep the picot arm in place?<br /><br />I will try to take a photo and post it, or if someone has a photo of what it should look like, it would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks for the help!

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

One more thought...I have heard people talk of changing the gears because a worn clutch dog causes it to jump in/out of gear. This is an '86 model OMC Cobra and as I understand it, there was a recall from a 2 to a 5 degree gearset in or around 1990. As a next resort, what gears do I change? Is it upper/lower or both?<br /><br />Thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Without the special tools, there is no way you are going to replace the gears in the lower unit and get them right. That is a job for a professional.<br />Have you replaced the shift cable yet. A worn out cable can cause all kinds of problems.<br /><br />
ACF563.gif

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. I was just curious on the gears as a last resort. Thanks for the photo. It's part #98 that the pivot arm falls out of. This is the piece that has a little vertical slack when it is extended. It rides into an opening on the lower unit. If the opening weren't as large, and it kept it from "flopping" I think it would be OK. <br /><br />The cable has been replaced (by previous owner) with the red type, and is very smooth with the outdrive removed. It's actually smooth with the outdrive on, until it gets stuck in reverse!<br /><br />Thanks again!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

To be sure remove the bolt from the end of the plastic sleeve, count the number of turns it takes to remove the end nut,slide the plastic sleeve off and check the cable end. it should be attached solidly to the cable. the end nut you unscrew is attached to the cable core.this rides inside a brass sleeve.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

see item #4 in the above post.the area between 4 and 97 is the sleeve in question

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Just went and pulled the outdrive. The sleve appears to be a little loose where it comes through the outdrive mount. If I understadn you guys, it should be very rigid...it's not. I guess it was broken and I never realized it should be that tight.<br /><br />Unfortunately, the only wrench I don't have is a 3/4" open end...I'll need to go buy/beg/borrow/steal one to get the nut off and the cable out. That stinks, but at least you guys helped me figure out what was wrong! I assume I can order a new cable through the site? Is it actually called the lower shift cable?<br /><br />Thanks for the help guys! Maybe I'll be ready by next summer! Fortunately, down here on the coast in Texas, we have summer 9 months of the year, almost summer for 2, and what you might call a winter for maybe a month!<br /><br />Thank you, thank you, thank you again!

tryan

Seaman

sorry don, i think i was having a king cobra flashback. :)