Breather Hose Condensation

ScottS4860

Recruit
Towards the end of last year's boating season I noticed a small amount of condensation with an oily milky substance coming from both breather hoses on my 2001 Merc 4.3 L. Under the oil fill cap there was some condensation as well with a little of the oily milky substance. The boat runs fine, temp is where it should be. I contacted two boat dealers, one local, the other the dealer where I purchased the boat from. Both told me that it was normal condensation. I ran the boat for the rest of the season with this condition. The boat was winterized changing all filters and fluids.

I have just a few hours on it this summer and the condition is still there only less. The engine is running great. Checking the oil, there are no signs on the dipstick of any problems just clean oil.

Do I have a problem, or could this be just condensation? Is there maybe a bigger problem brewing?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Breather Hose Condensation

Sounds like the engine isn't getting hot enough for an extended period to "burn off the moisture" and condensation is gumming it up. Maybe a good long run to get her warmed up for an extended period is needed. Same thing happens on vehicles that only do short runs around town.

I would try that first and go from there.