Johnson 115 has half of usual power

tracker222

Recruit
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum and new to owning a boat. So, unfortunately I do not have a whole lot of knowledge of outboards. I bought a bass tracker with a 96 Johnson 115 on it a couple of months ago and it has ran great until today. As soon as I put it in the water and started giving it gas I could hear it misfiring under acceleration and it only reached about half of its normal top speed. I have noticed no signs of this in previous trips, it has literally happened over night it seems like. The only thing that I have done to this motor is replaced the primer bulb on the fuel line after it got some holes in it, from some type of rodent I think. I did this right before I put it on the water today. I can feel the new bulb filling with fuel and it is not leaking. I am thinking that is not getting enough fuel to it, while a friend of mine who knows more about outboards thinks it could be one of the power packs. Do you think it could be related to the new primer bulb or just a coincidence? I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 115 has half of usual power

well, since this problem began after you installed the new primer bulb, perhaps some crud got into your carbs during the removal and install. You said there were holes in it, maybe a bug got in there? Did you install the bulb in the right direction? Also check spark to see if all your plugs are firing. Since it started after you repaired the fuel system, I'd start the troubleshooting there first.

red

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson 115 has half of usual power

I have a 96 150 Johnson Ocean Runner kinda doing the same. but my Primer bulb is not tight when I go into full throttle. It is only running about 20 mhp right now. So I checked the vent screen and disconnected the vent hose and blew it out with my air compressor. But I have not put it back in the water to check it yet. But I can let you know tomorrow hopefully. I just did that today. IF you can think of anything else I need to try let me know too.