350 mpi horizon with bravo 1 leg stalling

arcane808

Recruit
Hello everyone, hoping I can get some advice on a direction to take on my problem, any advice given is greatly appreciated. The motor is a 350 mpi horizon mercruiser with a bravo1 leg. It has 450 hours on it and has been well taken care of. The basic problem is that the motor will sometimes (not consistently) die out when coming out of gear being put into neutral. When I first bought this boat the problem didn't occur too often and it was never hard to restart the motor. It would crank right up again no problem. Eventually the problems frequency has increased and restarting the motor has become more difficult. Sometimes after it dies when I try to restart it the starter sounds like its having a hard time. It will crank..1second...crank...1second...crank...1second....crank...1second. If I stop and give it a few minutes it will turn over again at the right speed. I did some reading and decided to check out the shift switch. I removed it from the shifter (while in neutral) and pressed it over and over again... holding it trying to see if I could stall the motor completely with no sucsess. I also read a bit about this potentially being a shift cable problem. I figured its time to take it to a real mechanic. The local merc dealer told me they don't think it has anything to do with shift cable ( apparantly they told me thats only a problem with alpha legs) and proceed to hook it up to a computer to check for error codes. It did show one abnormalty. The computer couldn't recognize when my boat was in gear or out of it, it would just stay at neutral regardless of gear. They reset it and told me that was most likely it. I went home took the boat out and the problem is still there. They also gave my IAC a clean bill of health. I have been unable to show them the motor stalling in their shop because its also a problem that doesn't usually happen until i've been running the boat for at least a few hours. I'm pretty much out of ideas on what to check next. If anyone has any idea please let me know. -Thanx