Frozen rear engine bolt, revisted

Speakrdude

Ensign
Well, It took two days, but I got it all out.

First, I was correct. The guide for the nut, is exactly that. It holds the nut in place vertically and keeps it from turning like you would think it would. The transom/gimble assembly is a 94 model. I can see were it would have been easier to beat it downward, breaking of the little ears that hold the bolt up or even cut off the lower bolt/nut to get it out, but I wanted to leave that feature intact.
I tried heating up the stud first with mapp gas and beating the crapola out of it with a vise grip and small sledge, trying to get it to turn. Nothing. Next, I decided to cut off the stud, flush, with the top of the housing, and proceeded to drill. That went very well. I was amazed at my accuracy. I drilled all the way down and out the tip of the bolt!
And then, I broke a bit down in the hole. After a few more broken bits, I managed to get a pointed cold chisel down inside the hole. Broke it off too!
So, Off to Lowes I go to get a new set of Dewalt Cold chisels. I simply chiseled off the bolt and then punched the remaining parts of frozen bolt, drill bits, and pieces of chisel on through.
All is good now.

For future removal, hopefully for the next generation, I think I will coat the complete bolt assembly with anti-seize to prevent future headaches. I beleive the original problem came from saltwater leak somewhere that found its why into the assembly.

Thanks for everyones help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Frozen rear engine bolt, revisted

I think I will coat the complete bolt assembly with anti-seize to prevent future headaches.

Ayuh,.... Believe it or not,...
Don has convinced me that Merc Perfect Seal, or form-a-gasket #2 works Better for that application than Never-seize ever will...

Speakrdude

Ensign
Re: Frozen rear engine bolt, revisted

That's the advise I was looking for. Thanks to the both of you.