Help Me add drive components to my tower!

I have a 05 Polar 2110 Bay with a Yamaha 150 It has a custom built 7' tower.
Currently its just used as a lookout and I would like to upgrade it to drive from up top.
It is a collapsible tower and would still need to for traveling.
Any advice would be great.

253736_10150188640358251_520388250_6944648_2148454_n.jpg

248176_10150190108603251_520388250_6956698_6285001_n.jpg

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Help Me add drive components to my tower!

Determine the parts that you will need to connect the engine to the tower and the size of mini-console you will need.

Steering cables, along with dual cable connectors at the engine,
Wiring harness for ignition, tach, amp, oil (pressure or level), temp, safety lanyard, etc (possible to get an inline harness from Yamaha?),
Throttle & shift controls, steering wheel,
GPS/fishfinder/depth sounder, VHF

Essentially, you are creating a second console. usually better planned during building that as an after thought. I would recommend getting with your local yamaha dealer for all the necessary parts lists and see whats already commercially available for plug-n-play and go from there.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there is one major advantage to "drive-by-wire" when we are forced to go to it, it will be for applications like this! :) Imagine being able to move your helm nearly anywhere in the boat...

p.s. - you might want to check with your insurance company to see if the tower changes your coverage any. I know there are plenty of tower boats out there and they are very safe in the hands of a good pilot/captain, but it only takes one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us (esp. regarding insurance coverage).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

wanna get REAL fancy...... guy I know with an 80' yacht has a remote control that he hangs around his neck..... he can walk anywhere and even control his "boat" from the dock.... I imagine this is a bit overboard for a 21'er but how cool would it be.....

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Looks pretty tippy to me, you sure you wanna be up there? Anyway I'm trying to imagine quick connect couplers that would get you there with that collapsible rig. I'm at a loss as to how to keep the cables from binding, getting kinked etc. from being put up and down, plus it's going to take some serious mods to your existing linkage to keep the upper helm in sync with the lower helm. Let alone trying to put any guages up there parrallel to your existing guages. I'm not sure this is worth the bang for the buck IMHO.