how do you test a carb?

rstrick624

Cadet
I have taken a carb apart and cleaned it on my 1975 mercury 20hp. The motor still won't start, how do i test it?

Thanks
Randy

Vw56German

Cadet
Re: how do you test a carb?

There is no real "testing" for a carb. during the cleaning process blow compressed air through every orifice you can and see if you can feel it come out some where in the throat of the carb. (those little holes by and behind the throttle plate. Blow through the fuel inlet and make sure fuel can get to the float bowl. Now that being said can you give us some more details. Have you checked spark and compression? If after trying to start the motor you take out the plugs, are they wet or dry? Have you checked to see if you have fuel to the carb? Could there be a fuel supply line issue?

rstrick624

Cadet

The plugs are basically dry. I can pull it a few times an remove a plug, put a match up to it and it poofs. So i think it is getting gas. The recoil pull is is not working well. I have spark on both plugs when i pull and hold them to metal. Also if i put my finger over the spark pull hole, it will suck it in when pulled.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do a compression test. You can spray some fuel in the carb and try and start it. If it starts this will let you know its a carb or fuel supply issue.

rstrick624

Cadet

It does not start with gas in the cylinder, yet I have spark. any thoughts?

rstrick624

Cadet

I am borrowing a compression tester from my uncle tommorrow. I will let you know

Thanks for your help

Randy