Evinrude Won't Start After Running

We've got a 1977 Evinrude Outboard 85 HP that usually starts pretty good and it will run really good. However, if you turn it off after running it for a while (15 minutes or so) it will not restart. You can turn the key, but absolutely nothing happens...no sounds, no turning over, nothing. Last year we replaced one or more of the coils, but the problem continues. This is a really frustrating problem. Help us please!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Won't Start After Running

If the starter is not engaging the flywheel, the problem is not the ign coils. You will have to use a volt meter and check voltage to the starter when the problem happens. Could be battery connections, starter solenoid, or wiring in the starter circut.

Thanks. Will start with the battery and then move to the volt meter. Just have to convince the family to go out one more time. They have pretty much shunned it.

Jim 77 evi

Recruit

I would check the red fuse holder if you have the original one still.it holds a small fuse but the holder itself doesn't make a good connection and will cause a no start problem,the fuse may be good but the holder may not be, or check your key switch and wiring

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Jim. It could also be the starter selinoid. If this is the problem, you can test it with a jumper wire from the incoming hot large cable to the outgoing large cable. Hold the jumper on on me & touch the other. If the starter engages the selinoid would be an easy fix. I had one on a 70 hp that was intermitant & when tore the selinoid apart, found corrosion on the internal contacts.

buckeye_paul

Cadet

I had the same issue on my 1970 Johnson 85 HP (Electric Shift). I never had a problem starting it until it had been running awhile and the engine was warm. When I tried to turn it over after stopping, nothing happened. No click, no starter, nothing. I found a switch near the throttle assembly that is closed when the shift lever is in neutral. This is so you don't start the motor in gear. I carefully took this switch apart and found that the contacts within the switch were gummed up and not making good contact. I cleaned the copper contacts with fine grit sand paper and cleaned it off. Have not had this problem since. Your motor is very different than mine so this may be of no help. I would think all outboards would have a switch like this. All cars do! Something you can look for anyway.