2002 Yamaha 60 Horse 2 Stroke wont go in gear.

cattrax

Recruit
My husband replaced the impeller on out boat motor. We are guessing he put the lower unit back together wrong because now the motor won't switch gears. He removed the lower unit a couple more times in an attempt to correct the problem but can't seem to get it and not the motor won't ever start. What do we need to do to fix the gear situation?

srowland76

Cadet
Re: 2002 Yamaha 60 Horse 2 Stroke wont go in gear.

My husband replaced the impeller on out boat motor. We are guessing he put the lower unit back together wrong because now the motor won't switch gears. He removed the lower unit a couple more times in an attempt to correct the problem but can't seem to get it and not the motor won't ever start. What do we need to do to fix the gear situation?

I recently changed the water pump on my 30 hp yamaha and had the same issue, it boiled down to the shift rod not being in the right position when reinstalling the lower unit. I took it back off and made sure the boat controll was in neutral and then i played with the shift rod until i could push it all the way down and the prop was in gear then pull it up a lil bit until it popped into neutral (the prop will free-spin) then i made sure i kept it in this position as i attached everything back together. I know this is a late reply but i hope u either already got the problem fixed or this was able to help.