gas mixture

Saint

Recruit
I have a 8 hp Johnson outboard. Don't know what year the motor was made. On the side of the motor it says mix 100 to 1. But boat mechanics tells me I should mix 50 To 1. And I have been but motor dont seem to run the best. Any suggestions? Concerned 100 to 1 might burn the motor up.

Rick.

Captain
Re: gas mixture

The factory issued a service bulletin saying to go back to the 50/1 mix. You should remove the tag/decal. Not sure what your referring to by it not running the best but there are lots of keener's here who will help if your having specific problems. Best of luck. Rick.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: gas mixture

i have an envinrude 4.5 that says on the motor 100/1. i ve never used that ratio always mixed 50/1.....didnt know about the bulletin, but plugs are cheaper than pistons! (the motor does drip a goey black mess from the exaust tho......but runs like a champ at idle or full throttle). with the motor not running the best, look for the most likely (compression from being run at 100/1 first) if that is good, go with a carb kit /fuel pump/ the cheap fixes. that motor should be ok.