my 1971 25hp seahorse is having issues

my 1971 25hp seaorse is having some issues, this just started when yesterday, when I'm running WOT the engine will bog down and then rev back up to normal RPM's. a friend said it's either the gas or possibly a power pack going bad.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: my 1971 25hp seahorse is having issues

The 1971 25hp doesn't have a power pack. These motors have the old style universal ignition system, which was in production, since 1951. You may need to pull the flywheel and check your points and make sure they're clean and gapped right. Check your coils and make sure they're not cracked.

If you can, post a model number of your motor and a pic of your ignition system.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have a bad connection, possibly a plug wire, that's causing you to drop a cylinder. You can test with a timing light while running the motor and find out which cylinder is acting up. Of course, this is only one of the many possibilities but, that's where I'd start looking. (p.s you don't have a power pack)

I love iboats, such a wealth of information. where can I find a manual or a guide on these engines? or should I just take it to a mechanic so I don't screw it up more?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you are going to buy a manual, get the factory one. They might cost a bit more but well worth the money. You can check e-bay, they have them at times, or google Ken Cook, he has factory reprints. Make sure you use your model number when buying a manual to get the correct one.