Replacing keyed ignition

Marmon

Cadet
I have a 1982 50 hp Johnson that I took out yesterday. It started up fine all day until I shut it off at the ramp to get the truck then I couldn't get it turn over. Checked wiring and connections everything was tight. The electric choke would engage but when I turned the key nothing. I was woandering if the key itself can go bad? I haven't had time to use a tester on it to see if I'm getting power to the switch because I got in late last night and working today. Just figured I'd ask real quick and get a few opinions from here. Also I checked the fuse, it was good and I replaced the starter solenoid last week. Where can I find this item? Thanks

Last edited:

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: keyed ignition ?

I have a 1982 50 hp Johnson that I took out yesterday. It started up fine all day until I shut it off at the ramp to get the truck then I couldn't get it turn over. Checked wiring and connections everything was tight. The electric choke would engage but when I turned the key nothing. I was woandering if the key itself can go bad? I haven't had time to use a tester on it to see if I'm getting power to the switch because I got in late last night and working today. Just figured I'd ask real quick and get a few opinions from here. Also I checked the fuse, it was good and I replaced the starter solenoid last week. Thanks

Try disconnecting the the starter wire and ground and hotwire it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check for voltage at the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start. Does the solenoid click when you turn the key?

Marmon

Cadet

No I don't get anything. I just replaced the starter solenoid last week though.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to check the voltage from the switch at the starter solenoid with a volt meter. When you turn the key to start and then you should have battery voltage at the solenoid.

Marmon

Cadet

Yes checked the solenoid today I do get power to the solenoid when I turn the key but it doesn't complete the circuit. Are the solenoids that sensitive? As stated above I just replaced it, been out twice since, now it seems to not be working again. Any ideas? Also while I was at it I checked the key switch. Should the housing below the threaded key port spin around? On mine I can spin it around it wont come off it just spins. Any thoughts? Thanks