Is this a good buy ?

joe_c

Cadet
Hello all,
long time reader/lurker, first time poster.
I am looking to purchase a 88 Bayliner Capri open deck (19.5 ft) with a SEIZED 3.0 OMC engine and Cobra outdrive.
Is there a way to make sure it only needs an engine rebuild? The engine is seized and can't be turned with a pry bar on the crankshaft nut. The prop spins freely when in neutral, but obviously locks when I engage forward or reverse. My only concern is purchasing it with a bad engine in mind, but having to rebuild or replace the outdrive also...
The hull is in good condition for the year and the interior is immaculate. Is this a good buy for 1000$ ? It comes with a trailer too...

Can the engine/outdrive be replaced with a mercruiser equivalent ?
My dad used to own an old glastron with a Mercruiser 470 engine and Merc outdrive and I rebuilt the outdrive myself...but the Cobra outdrive scares me a little bit...

Thanks for your input and hope to post more and more as I acquire a boat soon :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this a good buy ?

Howdy,

welcome to iboats!

I would say that boat is worth $0.00 in it's present condition.

A seized engine is worth practically nothing......maybe core value.

The boat might be worth it (for free) if you had another engine sitting by. But you cannot be sure that the drive is any good.

You can remove all of the OMC stuff and replace it with complete Mercruiser engine and drive......depending on what you pay for the Merc engine and drive will determine what it's worth after you finish the job. Possibly as much as you pay for the engine and drive or maybe less..... (unless you put a 470 in it.....then it would be less)

If the OMC drive is any good, you could sell it. There are usually people looking for them. You could remove the drive and check it out.

I still wouldn't give anything for the boat though.

Regards,

Rick

superbenk

Commander

Sounds like a bad deal to me.

Merc drive will fit in the same transom cutout though.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like an ok buy as a parts boat for someone needing an outdrive and a trailer. but not to repair.
only buy Mercruiser Alpha One with Chevy V6 or V8 power if you want something you can get affordable parts for down the road.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

not worth it at all unless its free,your a good mechanic and have a spare engine around, you ca get a boat like that on Craiglist for 2000 to 2500 running just my opinion of course

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

if it had a mercruiser or volvo that would make it worth something, but as it sits with omc its only worth what people will pay for the parts they can no longer get. to get a new engine and drop that in only to find out the lower unit might be shot you just wasted time and money.

you ca get a boat like that on Craiglist for 2000 to 2500 running
yea every week just keep on looking they tend to stay onf or a day people just want there old boats gone so they can look for a newer model in the fall.

joe_c

Cadet

Thank you gentlemen,
your input is very appreciated. I guess the old saying: you get what you pay for applies here...:)
My dad's old glastron, even though with a 470, was in mint condition, I actually found this motor very torquey and reliable. We just want something newer. I will keep looking for something with a Mercruiser unit and possibly a better hull design or construction than the Bayliner...
Please do not hesitate to suggest a good boat or hull design or construction from the late 80's :)

cheers

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thank you gentlemen,
your input is very appreciated. I guess the old saying: you get what you pay for applies here...:)
My dad's old glastron, even though with a 470, was in mint condition, I actually found this motor very torquey and reliable. We just want something newer. I will keep looking for something with a Mercruiser unit and possibly a better hull design or construction than the Bayliner...
Please do not hesitate to suggest a good boat or hull design or construction from the late 80's :)

cheers

Actually, that Capri bowrider is a fairly good design if there's no rot in the floor or transom. It is a REAL DOG with a 3.0L engine in it. Nothing wrong with the 3.0L engine (one of the best little 4-bangers made) just not enough for a 19' boat.

If the boat was in otherwise good condition and you had a line on a newer Mercruiser 4.3L or even 5.7L engine & (correct)drive combination for cheep, it might be a good deal if your hobby is parting out boats and doing a LOT of work.

Some of us like that......I removed the 1987 460/King Cobra from my boat and installed a 1997 454/Bravo that I got locally from Craigslist for about $5k......

It's all "do-able" you just have to buy everything right to make it worth it......and be able to sell all the left over "junk" ..........I eventually got a total $3500 for all the OMC "junk" left over (and I still have a few pieces left........that I'm keeping!.....Please, no PMs asking!!)

Good luck!

Rick

I guess if you wanted a project...... This would definitely be it... Along with an Adventure... But yo could start a project with a working boat for that $ for sure.. Would you need to change the controls front to back? if you changed the motor completely? Gauges.. ext?

Last edited: