Shore Power, Blinking Green no Red, Bayliner

SumpterMI

Cadet
I have a 94 bayliner 2665 that has been sitting of about 3 years. When hooked up to 120v the 120v outlets work, but the green light does not come on it just blinks, no red at all. The on board charger doesn't seem to be working either. 12v systems seems to be ok, lights work, frig works. Batteries need to be replaced. I can get it started with a portable charger. Any insights on the shore power lights would be appreciated.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Shore Power, Blinking Green no Red, Bayliner

A blinking green light means that the inverter circuit is off and the shore power is supplying power to the house (boat power system). You don't want the red light on. That means there is reverse polarity on the dock's shore power set up.

Troubleshoot why the inverter power circuit is not on. Check all fuses/breakers/power and ground feeds to the inverter.

SumpterMI

Cadet

I dont think my 2665 has an inverter, if it does, it would be news to me. I only have about 50 hours running on it and 200 hours in labor in it. When I had the batteries out the 120v oulets worked so I guess it doesn't.

The 120v outlets and the 120v battery charger are working. I don't know but it might be the light bulb its self, its an erratic blink. The 120v outlets have steady power, no short like output. Its acting as if it should have a soild green. I am going to see if I can find a manual for my panel, and check out the bulb.

Yesterday I installed 3 new batteries 30, 30-29 and a power mite 5/5/3 charger, and got rid of my old school Readi Amp 8 an 2 batts. The Readi amp 8 was working when I stored it. I guess leaving it plugged in for three years wasn't the greatest idea.

I feel like I am in the same place as when I started, just out another grand. It was hard starting when parked it.

The starter is weak and I have to use both on battery switch to get it started. I think starter might be smoked. Its crazy to have to use a 30,30, and 29 to start a single 350 merc I/O. One fully charged 30 AGM battery hardly even gets it moving. I guess it B-O-A-T time again.

SumpterMI

Cadet

Ok.. Something is sucking juice big time. I just went out and started my boat with all three batteries, no problems. Let it run for 15 minutes, shut it back down and tried to start it again with all three and got 3 slow turns on the motor. The whole time it was running I had over 13 volts on the gauge. I guess it had 11.5 when I shut it off. I took a reading from the batteries before starting with a Digital meter. All three read over 13.8 with the charger off. All wires are disconnected from the batteries other then the main wires and the trim, which leaves 3 disconnected red accessories wires, battery terminals are all tightened with a wrench. The refrigerator is turned off.

I guess I am going to have to start pulling fuses and keep the meter to it and try to determine what is sucking the juice over the main wirers.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You may have a bad light. Anything is possible. If the 120v outlets worked when the batteries were out, I assume you still had shore power plugged in. If you look at Bayliners troubleshooting section online, it indicates that a blinking green light means the inverter is not working. If it is an erratic blink, you might have mentioned that in your original post.

If all of your batteries are new and your starter is barely cranking over, look at the connections to the enging ground and the battery positive supply. Look for loose/corroded connections. If your batteries are new and showing 13.8v with the cables off, nothing is wrong with them. Have you bench tested your starter? If it starts cold and doesn't start when hot, could just be a bad bendix. What do you mean "I guess it had 11.5 when I shut it off"? Now if your engine isn't charging the batteries (alternator), that's a different ball of wax, but you indicated you have over 13v while running.

If you leave your boat on a trickle charger all of the time, either go with a smart charger, which shuts itself off when batteries are fully charged, or make sure you check fluid levels monthly.

Check connections, not just at the battery. Make sure batteries are fully charged. Check alternator output. Bench test starter if necessary.

SumpterMI

Cadet

I did another round of trouble shooting. This time turned off the main shore power breaker. Started it several times even with one battery repeatedly . Then I turned ON the main breaker for shore power, bingo it wouldn't start.

So tomorrow after a full charge with main breaker off. I?m going run it for 30 minutes then try to restart to rule out the bendix. Then flip the main breaker to on and see what happens.