Battery starting issue. Please help???

bfan781

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys, go easy on me. I am new to the boating world. 2nd year with boat.

I am trying to get the boat ready. center console with outboard. 115hp mariner

When I put it away last year I winterized it and took the battery back to my house. I slowed charged it the last few days. Problem is now I forget how the battery went back in.

I have four wires. to thicker gauge which go back to the engine. Then two smaller ones that I assume go to the key. Of course I do the two red ones (one thick one smaller to the + positive and the two black ones to the negative.

It doesn't start. When I turn the key it doesn't even try to start, then will try a little then stop. I think its the battery not fully charged, so I try to jump it with my truck and still doing same thing.

Now I noticed that the black (-) terminal is smoking slightly and the two thicker cables are hot to the touch. which I am assuming should not be the case.

So I am wondering if they could possibly b reversed? The thicker one with the red crimp even has a sticker saying to connect to (+) post. I didn't want to try it because I didn't want to damage engine/battery without checking first.

Now I also must say that on the larger post not the one where the cables get screwed onto, that the red cap was on the negative post. That could mean to connect the positive to the neg or someone just accidentally stuck it to the wrong post.

So if they are reversed would it not turnover and then try for a second or two? What should I do. I do not think its the battery and it worked perfectly last year. What about the cables getting hot?
Is it true that the wires can get hot from continuously trying to turn it over?

Even if it was a bad battery wouldn't it at least crank over connected up to my truck?

could it be a bad key switch? Is there a way to start the engine by bypassing the key? Like I mentioned when I turn the key it is completing silent not even cranking a little and then will start to crank for a moment, then bad to nothing.

Power tilt working properly

thanks in advance!!!1

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery starting issue. Please help???

If the power tilt is working properly, the polarity is correct. At least for the wires that run that pump. If the cables are reversed, the tilt would run backwards. The cables getting hot tell you that the battery is(was) charged. The heat in the cables is coming from a large amp draw. Is the starter hot as well? If so, it is trying to turn the engine. Try to turn the engine over by hand to see if it is seized.

bfan781

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the advice and the observations. It did sporatically try to turn over so wouldn't that mean it isn't seized? How do you turn it over by hand?

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

It could still be seized. Not completely, just very hard to move. Water in the pistons, or bad bearings would cause this. You can turn it by hand with the flywheel. Just grab and turn. If you pull the plugs, it should turn without too much effort.

bfan781

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wifisher, I am going to try and turn the flywheel tomorrow. So that should turn freely? I do think it is wired correctly, just second guessed myself when it didn't crank. is there a way to bypass the key? What about to test the starter?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bet you didn't have the cable on tight. If they got hot it was because of the bad connection. Are you using the little wing nuts to connect all these cables. If so you need to use something more than your fingers to tighten them. The best solution is to get rid of the wing nuts and use regular nuts so you can tighten them with a wrench.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pull the battery out of the truck and hook it up to the boat.Your boat battery may have went bad.Jump starting doesn't always work with a bad cell in the battery.

bfan781

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ften when i have an issue i search around and find others with the same issue, but i can't find the solution because once the person fixes it they don't go back and say what fixed it. So here we go. thanks to everyone that helped out with ideas, suggestions, and advice.

First thing i did was sand the terminals shiny. The ones on the engine end had a black gooey carbon build up on them it looked like. That did but fix it, but it did sound a little better.

Next i pulled the plugs and manually turned the flywheel. At first there was a little resistence, gas poure out of the bottom plug hole. (normal i guess from priming it).

Hooked back up and it started instantly, nice and strong crank over just like last year. Must have been aq little seized???? what you think??
Hope this helps out someone else in the future. thanks again for all the advice and suggestions

j_martin

Admiral

It is possible to charge a completely dead battery backwards.