What should I do at the end of the season...

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
We just bought a 2010 dealer repo Glastron 215gt deckboat with a 5.0 VP GXiC and a SX drive...It has like < 30 hours on it now...At the end of the season is there maintenance to be done or should I just have it winterized and put away for our "winter" (Keep in mind I live in Arizona where we had one morning last year that was close to freezing)

The dealership talks about pulling the out drive to grease splines and check the alignment...I put a little bit every week in a separate account for "Boat fund" but i am not really sure what I need to have done at this point...Any suggestions as to a maintenance schedule would be helpful...:eek:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What should I do at the end of the season...

We just bought a 2010 dealer repo Glastron 215gt deckboat with a 5.0 VP GXiC and a SX drive...It has like < 30 hours on it now...At the end of the season is there maintenance to be done or should I just have it winterized and put away for our "winter" (Keep in mind I live in Arizona where we had one morning last year that was close to freezing)

The dealership talks about pulling the out drive to grease splines and check the alignment...I put a little bit every week in a separate account for "Boat fund" but i am not really sure what I need to have done at this point...Any suggestions as to a maintenance schedule would be helpful...:eek:

Ayuh,.... If yer at All, Handy,...
Skip on up to the Adults Only section at the top of this forum, 'n read the thread, "Winterization"....
It explains all the Necessary things ya oughta do...

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read that a few times over the last year I have been on here...I am going to pay the dealership to do the maintenance...I have just a little more $$ then time lately...Winterization is one thing, but a maintenance schedule is another...Does VP need a impeller every year like my OMC cobra did???Do I need to pull the drive every year or every other year(The salesman said every other year)???I have been give different info from two different boat mechanics at different shops...One says the fuel system needs to be serviced after it sits for more then 3 months or I will burn up the pump, the other says that's not true...:eek:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We just bought a 2010 dealer repo Glastron 215gt deckboat with a 5.0 VP GXiC and a SX drive.

2010? IS that the year it was repoed or the year of the boat? Because the year of a 5.0GXi-C is 2003.\

If that is the correct model number for your engine, then go to the link below, type in 5.0GXi-C in engine type, and you can get the maintenance schedule and owners manual (along with other things) for your engine.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

To answer a couple of your questions. YES you need to pull the drive and grease the splines yearly. It also allows an inspection for water in the bellows.

Fuel filters, yes change them before layup. But, when changed, the contents should be inspected for water so you can head off any big problems. With todays efuels, this is a must do operation. You should also add fuel stabilizer to your fuel and run the engine long enough to get it throughout the EFI system.

Draining the cooling system???? I would. With the wierd way the weather changes, I wouldn't bet on a warm winter this winter.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 2010 model year, the boat had never seen water when we bought it...Dealer repo meant that a dealership in town had it and went out of business and it was in their inventory and glastron bought it back and sold it to the dealer I bought it from...

I saw that 5.0gxic is a 2003 model, not sure if the motor was sitting around for 7 years or if there is something fishy going on...:eek:

Don S

Get the engine serial number (10 numbers long starting with a 4) and lets see what it is. Can you post a picture of the outdrive?
Something IS fishy...............

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tonight on the lake I saw GxiC-j on the engine tag...I didn't have my phone or I would have taken a picture of the data plate...It also said SX-A and DPS-A not sure what that is...:eek:

I will post the info when I can get back to my storage and copy it down...

Don S

Ahhhhh, you have one of those engines with catalytic converters on it. Sorry about that....................
If you have your owners manual, you want to do everything in the 100/150 hr or yearly service as part of winterization. Except tuneup items and impellers which can wait till spring as part of the spring de winterizing.
Also read in your owners manual about the anodes and reference anodes in the exhaust manifolds. You do not want to damage the converters. Last I heard they were like $750 each, and you have 2 of them.

If you don't have the owners manual, you can download it here http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/...403&d=Owners Publication&s=2344852&lang=en-GB

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do have the owners manual...we aren't going to be even close to 100 hours at the end of the season this year...That's why I was confused...Does it seem like a GXiC-J is a 2009 or 2010 engine???The dealer told me its a 270hp multiport injected V8 from a vortec chevy engine...:eek:

Don S

Yes, it's an 09 or 10 model and yes it has catalytic converters. That J at the end made all the difference. Look at the manual it's 100 hour OR 1 year, which ever comes first. Yeah, it's a 270hp MPI engine.