Random Klunking While In Forward Idle

Sponge Bob

Cadet
I have a 1981 Citation, 165hp I/L6 205ci, MC-1 outdrive (I think thats the designation. Perhaps M-1 or MR-1. Pre Alpha). Today while navigating a no wake zone in 8-10' of water, I would hear a klunk every once in a while. It wasn't constant or regular. Very random. It happens only while in gear at forward idle. It might happen at WOT, but I didn't hear it, so I'm not sure. Any noise coming from the outdrive makes me very nervous. $$$ What kind of "death rattle" could this be? Thanks.<br /><br />SB

Hog Wild

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Random Klunking While In Forward Idle

Most likely your hearing the steering knuckles? You don't hear them at WOT because you can't turn that sharp to work them. But you should here them when in reverse and neutral (if you turn the wheel hard and the noise is based on power)? But when you should hear them is when you are turning the wheel hard left or right and they shouldn't matter foward and reverse. There's not much difference to a boat forward vs. reverse. Be careful when testing, etc. do not turn the wheel hard left or right and give big power, you can break those knuckles in there. It's something like that in there.. just keep good notes on the noise and really try to figure out exactly when it happens and doesn't happen. Like motor tilted up, down, turning, left, right, in neutral but turning left/right still. how much power is on? It's possible you have a bearing going (that would be bad news). When was the drive unit last looked at? Maybe time to have a preventative maintenance done on it?

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pull the drive and chk the u-joints!<br />Rich

Sponge Bob

Cadet

It might not be the steering knuckles. It happens when I'm going straight. I wasn't doing any hard turning when I heard the noise. The drive was almost the whole way down, trimmed up a little bit.<br /><br />I just bought the boat last month. The guy I got it from was very anal about his cars, boats, motorcycles, lawn mower. So I'm sure he took good care of it and did the needed maintenance, however, I'm not sure when the last time was.<br /><br />I think I'll yank the drive and check the u-joints later this week. This weekend is non-stop. Thanks for the replys and ideas. Have a good holiday.<br /><br />SB

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I would suspect the gears in the lower unit, in particular the pinion gear. Mine went last year, it was quiet in neutral but made noise in gear. After it went I never went above idle.

Bondo

Staff member

A Quick Check of the Oil Might be in order.......<br />Do you have the Magnetic plug ????<br />Look for Metallic Shiney Oil.......<br /><br />Random Clunks, Have been Very Expensive for Me.......... :(

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Well, I done it now. :( Took her out today to see if I could get a better idea where the noise was coming from. The random clunk turned into a steady click, then a loud clunk and the smell of burnt gear oil. :( :( Dead in the water from there. I believe my lower unit is fried. **Hits self in forehead with palm** I'll be ripping it apart tomorrow to see how bad the damage is. Would I be better off trying to repair the one I have, or should I look for a rebuilt lower and maybe use mine as a core?<br /><br />The Oil looked good yesterday. Perhaps not good enough.<br /><br />SB

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would I be better off trying to repair the one I have, or should I look for a rebuilt lower and maybe use mine as a core?
Depends on what failed. Take it apart and look, then after you know what is wrong, compare the prices for repairing it to replacement.

Sponge Bob

Cadet

What kind of special tools should I expect to need? I'm sure I'll need more than a ratchet and a screwdriver. Thanks.

Don S

First thing you need to do is get a service manual for your drive. Without it, the chances of you getting it apart and back together again so it will work and without breaking something are "ZERO"<br />The manual will also list all the special tools required for the dissassembly and reassembly and shimming.<br />Some you may be able to make, but not very many, and will probably cost more than a new drive.

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks for the link, neilmw. I'll check them out for sure.<br /><br />A service manual is on the list for tomorrow's purchases. So, realisticly, a shade tree mechanic rebuild isn't all that cost effective? I suppose the mechanics need to eat too. ;) <br /><br />Thanks again everyone.<br /><br />SB

Don S

What DJ said :D <br />You can't even buy the tools for that price.

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks, DJ. I think my wife sould s#!t a brick if I spent $1500 on an outdrive. She's having a fit about $800 for a replacement lower unit. Go figure.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

To get a look at the inside of the lower unit, check out this web page in order to see the gears. You should have the drive off and seperated. After you get the bearing carrier out you will have a better idea as to the extent to the damage.