1976 OMC Controls question Trim switch.

DarkPaladin

Cadet
Heyas all. I have an older 76 Thompson 26 foot I am working on. It has the 351w OMC setup in it. The throttle control doesn't have a trim/tilt switch on it. It's on the dash, and I am replacing the dash panel and changing out switches to make it look nicer as well.

Is there a compatible control assy that I can swap out that has a tilt/trim switch in the handle, sort of how my Yamaha outboard has in it? A little new to the OMC I/B setup, so please be gentle.

Thanks!!!

superbenk

Commander
Re: 1976 OMC Controls question Trim switch.

Could have sworn I saw some on here that had that and would work, but I'd have to look again. Can't remember the brand, but remember it was a recognizable/common aftermarket brand.

Bondo

Staff member

The throttle control doesn't have a trim/tilt switch on it. It's on the dash,

Ayuh,... OMC Stringer drives are an Oddball drive....
Does yer's have Trim,..??
You Can't use the Tilt for trimming, as the ball gears will turn to dust in short order....

The trim system runs on a totally different set up....

superbenk

Commander

Agree with bond-o, but they're just switches, so if you do have trim, I don't see why a new controller with tilt/trim switches wouldn't work. Some controllers come w/ just a tilt switches too.

DarkPaladin

Cadet

Here's what I have for a drive. Not sure, but I am willing to bet I just have Tilt.

IMG_0177.jpg

superbenk

Commander

Trim on that drive would be either a jackscrew on the front motor mount that raises/lowers the whole engine or hydraulic front motor mounts if it's a V8 that do the same thing. Not all Stringers had trim.

DarkPaladin

Cadet

OK, sounds like I need a control assembly that can run the tilt. Just trying to have one less hole in my dash when it's all done. )) What should I be looking for or ask? Who should I call? Ghostbusters isn't much help. ))

Thanks!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you can put the tilt switch anywhere. You don't want it on the throttle - might bump it by accident.
or someone else driving might think it's trim and tilt the drive underway (not good).
what's wrong with the switch that was there? you can relocate it anywhere you like.
It's just a 3 position spring centered switch like the one on the left here (or any power window switch from a car):
14175_140_1.jpg

should be able to find one at an auto parts store. it doesn't carry much current (1 or 2 amps) and it's only 12V so not too difficult to find replacements.

DarkPaladin

Cadet

Ohh, I have a switch. I just wanted it to be a cleaner install on my new dash panel I made. I don't have a nice looking (on)-off-(on) switch to install though. Hence the reason to see if there was a compatible control out there that will work with my cable.

I understand the accidental trim part as well. That would be bad.

I'll keep looking around and see if I can find my solution.

Thanks guys!

Hey all, I have the same animal as in the pictures. but it does have a tilt. the problem is that the trim works but the tilt doesnt. press the button and nothing. There is a screw on the side of the gearbox that i thing i can open to see fluid. i believe this way i can maually lower the unit. Maybe after sitting for 4 years it's just stuck?? any comments?

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, I have the same animal as in the pictures. but it does have a tilt. the problem is that the trim works but the tilt doesnt. press the button and nothing. There is a screw on the side of the gearbox that i thing i can open to see fluid. i believe this way i can maually lower the unit. Maybe after sitting for 4 years it's just stuck?? any comments?

I am new to the forum too, but I believe proper etiquette is to start a thread of your own, so as not to distract from this poster's thread. But since we are here, if truly "nothing" happens, then start with the solenoid block to port of engine. If that doesn't help, opena a new thread and you will get tons of help!
Good luck!

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Heyas all. I have an older 76 Thompson 26 foot I am working on. It has the 351w OMC setup in it. The throttle control doesn't have a trim/tilt switch on it. It's on the dash, and I am replacing the dash panel and changing out switches to make it look nicer as well.

Is there a compatible control assy that I can swap out that has a tilt/trim switch in the handle, sort of how my Yamaha outboard has in it? A little new to the OMC I/B setup, so please be gentle.

Thanks!!!

If there is no trim in the handle, I would want to know for sure that it was equipped with trim. All stringers tilt the entire engine and outdrive. In order for that to work the rear engine mount has to be a pivot. I have heard about the hydraulic trim at the front engine mount but never seen them. Perhaps you can post a pic of the front engine mount. This way we can tell you if you have "selec-trim"(power version) or pre-set trim.

southkogs

Staff member
If there is no trim in the handle, I would want to know for sure that it was equipped with trim.
Trim isn't always on the handle on a Stringer: mine's the same toggle type switch as the tilt on the dash.