1985 70 Johnson Lower unit removal

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant believe im asking this...I cant get the lower unit off a 1985 Johnson 70HP, removed all the bolts and it's loose but seems like its hanging by the shift rod. How do you disconnect the shift rod? I'm a sterndrive guy im used to the lower unit just coming off...

Thank you

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 70 Johnson Lower unit removal

Below and slightly behind the bottom carburetor the shift rod comes through and attaches to the linkage. You need to loosen one screw and the rod will slide down with the lower unit out of the linkage. It's a little tough to see, look for it from the side of the motor below and slightly to the front of the starter motor. If you remove the electric starter, which is fast and east to do, it makes it easier to get at the linkage and screw you need to loosen. When you re-install the lower unit you have to watch / align this rod as you slowly slide the lower unit in place, at the same time guiding the water tube and exhaust housing in place from below. Go very slowly and work all 3 pieces together, and it's not as bad as it sounds. Put the bolts in and torque up the lower unit before you tighten the screw on the shift rod. Good luck!

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 70 Johnson Lower unit removal

The motor is actually an 82' and theres no screw it looks like theres a pin. Heres a picture

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0