Need some advice on 35hp Chrysler

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's the scoop -
A friend picked up a 60/70's runabout, with a 35hp Chrysler. It wanted to spin the prop all the time, even though it IS a F-N-R model. it was just really tight. Got it to run, and it runs great. but it's always turning..

Pulled the lower off, and it was rusted to hell, with water as lube. Needs new bearings, which i'll order from the local bearing supply house. It also needs new seals, (p/o had used JB weld to seal the two lowers together....WTF is wrong with people?!) and gaskets. Everything LOOKS fine, but I can't see the cause of the constant drive issue, AND, I need to find a place that can decode the engine S# to get me the year, as the P/O felt it was a '71, and ordered (from iBoats!!!) a re-seal kit that IS NOT for this motor!
I need the correct year to supply iBoats with the right info to order the parts....These old Boats are way more fun, and addicting than my Sea Ray!

ON the Outboard Tag - 35HP Model 35602, Serial # 1116 Chrysler Barrie ON

Cliff notes - Why's I gots no neutral
- Whut year is dis motor?

fucawi

Banned
Re: Need some advice on 35hp Chrysler

1966 sorry mate .... as you took it to bits why its driving is now not important getting back together is ...could have just been stuck in F or linkage out of adjustment ..good luck ..year chart at http://www.iboats.com/basics/chrysler.html

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

:( I missed that chart...no wonder the owner bought the wrong seals. and iBoats doesn't have the older kits.

The boat WOULD go into different gears, but the thing was stiff, and seemed to always try and drive...but F and R were obtainable, with N still trying to spin the prop. Poor old thing NEEDED tore down, as the bearings are rotten. :(

fucawi

Banned

Very often the prop does spin but with no power in N due to the oil dragging the gears... but will not turn in water ....good luck I hate lower units !!!

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, that was an issue too, there was no oil, just water. The motor was in a garbage can full of water, as I can't make any of the muffs I have work on this tiny lil motor...
Picking up bearings tomorrow (hopefully!) and one seal. The iBoats kit the previous owner had bought (for a 71) had some of the seals needed, but is missing one.

fucawi

Banned

if the lower unit is off put the hose straight onto the water feed pipe inside the leg then you can fire it up without the lower unit or muffs.