Do you Kno your knots ?

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do you Kno your knots ?

I was always told "if you don`t know How to tie a knot,tie alot."

64osby

Admiral

Didn't Quint ask Hooper to tie a Sheepshank in Jaws? Now I know how.

A good bowline always works for me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

most knots are a variety of a clove hitch or a square knot. All (legitimate) knots are designed to have a release no matter how tight they have been pulled, and most are designed to lock themselves when pulled.

You can do almost anything if you know a clove hitch, bowline and two half hitches. A sheepshank is just cool. A figure eight is a handy one, too.

It kills me when my helpers wind all the dock line on a cleat. Done correctly, the two wraps is all you need (it is a clove hitch) and you never need more.

Knowing how to handle your lines is a basic part of boating and can be a serious safety or property damage issue. another thing on the list that says a boat owner is not necessarily a boater.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 to that HC.

We had a big storm roll in at the end of the season last year. There were 2 types of damages at the marina.

1. People don't know how to tie their boats up, and the broke free and destroyed other boats, or the docks, and/or themselves.

2. People don't check on their boat for a month, they fill with rainwater, and then a few hours of big waves over the transom finish it off and it sinks at the dock.

And this was in probably the most protected bay on Lake Champlain.

Either one is easily preventable.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You can do almost anything if you know a clove hitch, bowline and two half hitches. A sheepshank is just cool. A figure eight is a handy one, too.
Yup!! Clove hitches are so misunderstood and deserve so much more respect. My favorite use is as a fender hangar off of a bow rail for amidships. Perfectly, simply, height adjustable and they will not slip as so many think.

Edit: Take a look at the Angler's Knot, I use it a lot for joining two lines. So simple it makes me smile every time I tie it . . . ;)

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Animatedknots.com shows how to tie a wide variety of knots (sorted by category) in step by step fashion.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

Didn't Quint ask Hooper to tie a Sheepshank in Jaws? Now I know how.

A good bowline always works for me.

YES and you remember his big eyes when he said "YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT"

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my boat the most used knots on my boat are the Bowline and the Clove Hitch.

64osby

Admiral

YES and you remember his big eyes when he said "YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT"

Brody said that. Yes I just saw it a couple weeeks ago with my kids.

A clove hitch, that takes me back to stuff I learned in boy scouts. Now I have to go and look at it. I know I tie quite a few different knots but I can't put a name to them anymore.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

NOTE on the bowline. This is a very useful knot and easily tied. It is also easily untied. May be a bit too easily untied. If you are using some of the sythetic (almost plastic) ropes/lines, you might want to be sure the end is secured, maybe using a wire tie etc. you can also leave this end/tail a bit longer than normal. Due to the slick finish/surface of this type rope, it can slip loose if not careful. This synthetic rope will sometimes tend to untie itself !!! because it is so stiff and slick. A few years ago a female mountain climber fell of McKinley when her knot connecting her to the rest of the climbers came untied. She still had her harness on but the rope came loose from her harness ring. Also, some of this plastic like rope is very hard on the hands if you must handle it a lot. it will also take a set if tied for a while and won't straighten out like other rope does. I like cotton or nylon as it seems to be more user friendly

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

very good point; bad quality line will defeat knot tying skills. The slick plastic stuff is only good for ski lines that are already factory spliced.

TEutis

Seaman Apprentice

Agree about the bowline - we no longer use it in the fire service for life safety because it was designed to be used with natural rope. Now that we tend to use synthetic rope we stay away from it. With the synthetic rope the family of 8's tends to work much better and they're easier to tie in my opinion.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I like the Eights too ^^^^^

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the figure eight and its varieties are the type that I mentioned as qualifying as a proper boating knot, as it won't slip or slide and can be "unlocked" after being pulled tight. Compare the basic figure eight to the simple overhand in this regard, or a square knot to a granny.