Oil leeking out of Bottom Weep Hole (Evinrude 33)

jvanconant

Cadet
I recently purchased a Boat with a Evirude 33 Ski-Twin. I have oil leeking out of the bottom weep hole, not the one by the oil fill. Hoping some one could give me some info on where to start looking as far as which seal or o-ring would be causing this. It is gear oil not 2-stroke residue. Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Oil leeking out of Bottom Weep Hole (Evinrude 33)

What's your model number, would like to look up your lower unit.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Other than the prop shaft seals in front of the prop, the seal between the gear case halves, you only have the seal under the water pump and the shift shaft o-ring. If you are leaking lower unit oil you might have to pull the lower unit and pressure test it to find your leak.

jvanconant

Cadet

Thank you I'll see what I can Figure out.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Unburnt 2 stroke oil. The weephole drains the lower part of the exhaust housing.

jvanconant

Cadet

No it is definatley gear oil. Clean and it smells like gear oil.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If oil is getting out, water should be getting in. Check for water in the gear oil. Even if you don't see any, as suggested previously, pressure test the gearcase. If its not unburnt 2-stroke oil, it pretty much has to be a bad driveshaft and/or shift rod seal.

jvanconant

Cadet

What is the best way to get the shift rod seals out?

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking the same thing with my 33 Ski-Twin.

The engine sat for fifteen years before I got it, on a stand in a garage near Toledo. I brought it home squirted penetrating oil in the cylinders routinely. Good thing I inspected the lower unit. If I were to drain and fill it and run it it would of destroyed itself. The gear lube looked ok, yet taking the unit apart revealed rust stuff stuck to the hard parts and cast parts like sticky goo. Yet every bit of it came off in the parts cleaning tank. I was careful not to disturb the shift rod seal. I wet sanded it above the operating zone of the o-ring to remove crud so I could pull the shift rod through cleanly.

First time out I had it adjusted too rich. And all the spray stuff I put in the cylinders during the winter, came oozing out of the weep hole. So I thought there was something wrong with the lower unit, like if it were leaking? I unscrewed the drain screw and let just a bit of gear lube drip into a plate after sitting overnight, no water whatsoever, perfectly looking gear lube. By the way, the weep hole was plugged up when I got the outboard. That may be why there was rust goo in the lower unit when I got the outboard, maybe water seeped in through the shift rod seal. As the water level had risen in the pipe part there due to the weep hole being plugged up.

Next time out I leaned it out and the exhaust got good and warm, plugs look a bit warm too. Thinking I'll go to a J6C plug, even though the Champion book says J8C. Anyway only a little bit of goo is coming out of the weep hole which I am considering normal.

I'm going to stick to this 65 33 Ski-Twin for a while. I don't need any more of these new old outboard jitters,,,, shew.....

By the way the prop was extensively corroded, like it had sat in water yet never used. I ran it through the electrolysis tank and it is pitted as hell, yet looks never used besides that.

It never hurts to double check things, you could forget something once.

Steady as she goes....

gasch

Cadet

Try new crush washers the vent and drain/fill hole