Shifting issues.

willroach

Cadet
Hello folks,
the motor in question is a '61 Evinrude 10hp model number 10022. For the past few weeks i been having shifting issues. Everything from not going into gear, to popping out of gear while cruising along. I pulled the lower unit and inspected everything. The lower shift rod was a little bent and i was able to bend it straight. I put everything back together and i am still having issues. It looks like the shift rods are not traveling through their full motion. I can use a pry bar and pry up or down on the linkage, and it goes in gear no problem and with ease, it just wont go using the shift lever. Is there a adjustment I can make to get the shifting correct? Is there something else i can do to get this corrected?

Thanks,
Will

lindy46

Captain
Re: Shifting issues.

Are both shift rods installed properly in the coupler? With the coupler bolts passing through the detents in the shift rod ends? Also, may be a worn shift connection under the powerhead. With the lower unit off, hold the shift lever secure and using a needle-nosed plier through the oval opening on the side of the leg, see if there is any up and down play in the upper shift rod. There should be NO play.

willroach

Cadet
Re: Shifting issues.

Lindy,
Yes, bolts are passing through correctly. I will check to see if there is play in the rod. If so, is there a procedure to adjust this, or do i have to replace it?