Teleflex Housing Removel

pzimmermann3

Recruit
I stripped the gears in my teleflex rotary steering housing while trying to free up a steering arm that had froze up during the winter. I was able to free up the arm and will properly clean and regrease it. I have removed the wheel and steering housing from the console but cannot feed the cable out of the housing. I see the normal procedure would be to feed the cable out while turning the shaft.. like I said I stripped the gears and the shaft simply spins freely now. Any advice on how to get the cable out? Thanks so much

Fed

Commander
Re: Teleflex Housing Removel

Did you disconnect the cable sheath where it enters the steering housing?

pzimmermann3

Recruit

I did disconnect the cable sheath. pulled it back from the housing so the cable is bare entering and exiting. It looks well greased and not worn out but it won't budge.

Fed

Commander

You could have broken teeth jamming things up is there a plate on the front you can remove?
I once changed the large gear without removing the cable at all on a twin cable push/pull teleflex set up.
You could try pulling on the cable & turning the wheel at the same time.

pzimmermann3

Recruit

aha, i'll see if I can open up the hub this weekend (Sunday) when I get a chance. It looked like the two sides would come apart with some force. thanks for the replies! I will keep you posted

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Riveted together for a reason.

Cut the cable and buy an entire steering unit and cable.

I just picked up the same, including a new wheel, for $128

pzimmermann3

Recruit

roscoe,

I suppose replacing the whole thing at this point may be a good idea, as you suggested. My initial worry is that I would have to unbolt the outboard to remove the old steering cable from the tilt tube though.. its a 90 HP Honda 4 stroke and needless to say it has a little weight to it.