early year running problem

waverly23

Cadet
Help,
I have a 15 HP 1992 2 stroke evinrude. Rebuilt carb and motor ran great all of last year. Over the winter I converted to remote control and in the Spring decided to have a locate shop redo my sinc and link. They could not get the engine to run worth a ..... I took it home, retillered it and off to the lake. I also could barely start it. When it would start at something like idle speed, it would run rough for a couple of minutes and then self increase in speed to high RPM. So high I had to kill switch to stop. It ran like a clock last year until winter storage. The motor was stabled, ran dry, and stored in a heated garage. Any ideas on what gives. I can imagine carburation causing the increase in RPM by itself. Maybe the shop helped this along but I can't guess as to how. Any suggestion would be appriciated.

AlTn

Commander
Re: early year running problem

is the throttle plate returning to a closed position at idle and is it exactly horizontal at wot?

waverly23

Cadet

I did a new link and sinc and indications are that at idle the throttle plates roll pin just start to rotate at start. I have not let it runaway long enough to see that the roll pin is horizontal at WOT.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Boy, that must be some shop. I hope you didn't pay them anything. You can check the WOT position of the roll pin with out starting it up.

AlTn

Commander

As Bobbie stated, do this w/o the motor running...you can put your finger in the carb throat or use an inspection mirror

waverly23

Cadet

thanks guys. Yes at WOT... throttle plate is horizontal. At idle... throttle plate just starts to open. Maybe I am missing your point. But the throttle plate works fine. My problem is that with the throttle linkage attached, held and started in the idle position, the speed of the engine increases to fast without changing the throttle setting. It's almost like its starting at fast, runs very poorly and than builds to high rpm. The synch and link has been looked at three times and seems to be correct.

Last edited: