6hp fuel line connectors

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1974, 6hp, posted about this motor a few times before, but this is a new general question.

Could a bad connector at the fuel tank cause carburetor problems? When i take the line off the motor and leave it connected at the fuel tank I can squeeze the primer bulb and fuel will drizzle out the unconnected end, doesn't spurt, but definitely leaks. When it is reconnected at the tank and I squeeze the primer bulb it gets firm and stays firm until i try and start the motor.

Just grasping at straws here...

fireman57

Captain
Re: 6hp fuel line connectors

Sounds like it is working properly. Just bite the bullet and clean/rebuild your carb

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There is an o-ring that seals the end of the fuel line... sounds like it is past its best-before date.
Worth replacing because I have seen them seal under pressure (when you pump up the bulb), but leak under suction (from the fuel pump).
Cheap and easy maintenance item, and "might" solve your problem.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies.

I have bitten the bullet a couple times with this thing. Put new kits in it twice and still have fuel problems...it's driving me bananas.

Any idea the actual "dash" number for that oring??

fireman57

Captain

You can almost always force fuel out by squeezing the bulb. You say you have fuel problems what exactly are they? If this is the only problem you have and the engine runs fine then Tim's fix should cure it. You can buy a whole new connector for about 5 bucks.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can almost always force fuel out by squeezing the bulb. You say you have fuel problems what exactly are they? If this is the only problem you have and the engine runs fine then Tim's fix should cure it. You can buy a whole new connector for about 5 bucks.

The engine isn't running fine. See the below thread for my problems :)

"6hp, 1974 fuel dripping out carb"

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scott, its just a omc fuel connector. $5.00? @ wally-world. Should come with new ss clamp.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought the connnector and attempted to put it on. The hose was stiff so i cut a 1" piece off and noticed it looked bad so i sliced the 1" piece lengthwise. It was all dried and cracked on the inside. This hose is SAE J30R7 fuel line i got from autozone a couple years ago to replace my original old line. Anyway i was really surprised how bad it was, considering i haven't run more the 10 gallons of gas thru it over two years. I guess that ethanol really eats up the SAE J30R7 line. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.