Adding tell tale to '76 Evinrude 9.9 -- where to drill?

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

My '76 9.9 lacks a tell tale. It isn't overheating, but I sure would like to know that all's well in the water flow department before any bad things start to happen.

I've read the Machinist's page that discusses adding a tell tale (link here: http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson 9.9_15.htm), and searched and found a few threads here but before I put a hole into any part of the power head I want to be REALLY REALLY sure I know exactly what I'm doing.

Here's a pic of the water jacket/exhaust cover (starboard side of head):
GEDC1928.jpg

Looking in the factory manual, it looks like the area covered by the raised "X" is over just exhaust, with the water jacket outside of that. That would suggest I need to drill into the thicker areas toward the perimeter of the cover.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who has successfully added a tell tale to this type of motor, with specific description or (even better) pics of where you drilled.

Thanks so much!

May all your outboards pee forcefully!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding tell tale to '76 Evinrude 9.9 -- where to drill?

You apparently have a late 76 water jacket cover. The X would be about the right location, but anywhere in that area would be fine as long as you leave room to thread the leg of the Ell in.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding tell tale to '76 Evinrude 9.9 -- where to drill?

Thanks Machinist!