Another merc carb acceleration bog

diew

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 85' searay 230. This bog has just happened recently and i don't know why. When cruising around, then going to idle, then accelerating about a minute later, the engine runs fine with no bog. But if i let the engine idle for any longer than 2 minutes or so, then accelerate, the engine boggs. Any suggestions? Maybe its not getting enough air? I had a thought, I have water in the bottom of the engine compartment and do you think that when in idle for too long and the boat isn't moving, then the water heats up and causes vapor inside the engine compartment. Then when accelerating the engine sucking in moist air?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another merc carb acceleration bog

1. Find out why you have water in the engine compartment (boats are normally constructed to keep the water, otherwise they are not really boats)<br /><br />2. Have the carb rebuilt.

ron7000

Banned
Re: Another merc carb acceleration bog

first, run the boat with the engine cover open and see if you still have the problem.<br /><br />
do you think that when in idle for too long and the boat isn't moving, then the water heats up and causes vapor inside the engine compartment. Then when accelerating the engine sucking in moist air?
no. it's most likely a carb problem.