76 Mercury 9.8HP Not running right......please help can't paddle this weekend!

seasprite74

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a 1976 Mercury 110 9.8 HP. I have serviced the foot, and replaced the water pump. I also cleaned the carb and had it looked over by somebody that worked on them. Now, when it starts it revs right up, and has very slow throttle response and wont idle. The air screw is out 1 1/4.
Anything I could have missed? Any help would be great, I have to have this running this weekend.
Thanks in advance!

deedaad

Cadet
Re: 76 Mercury 9.8HP Not running right......please help can't paddle this weekend!

does it have spark on both cylinders?

seasprite74

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 76 Mercury 9.8HP Not running right......please help can't paddle this weekend!

yep good strong spark in both cylinders

deedaad

Cadet

I'm certainly no expert, but the only thing I have left to offer is to make sure the gas vent is opened. They usually run good though with it closed until a vacuum is created. Did you check the comression on both cyl.? Did the problem only show up after you serviced the motor? and did you use a good gasket to put the carb. back on?

seasprite74

Seaman Apprentice

yep gas tank is vented. Good compression, about 123 in each. I bought the motor condition unknown, so i have no idea. Yep, got a good gasket

deedaad

Cadet

I would double check the wires going to the coils to make sure there are no cracks in the insulation. I had an 1985 9.8 motor that was shorting out where the coil wire touched the block and it only showed up when it was under power. I don't have any more technical answers for you. Hopefully someone with more experience on this site can help you out. good luck

deedaad

Cadet

did you figure any thing out with this?