E8RCOB Evinrude 8 hp cam adjustment

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
The motor is a 1985 Evinrude E8RCOB and the cam needs to be checked for the correct adjustment. There is a star screw on the left side and one on the white roller. How is it adjusted? I do know the throttle plate usually starts to move when the index is in line with the roller and should be vertical for full throttle. I think the index line is on a slant on the right side which isn't visable in the picture. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 785.jpg
    Picture 785.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: E8RCOB Evinrude 8 hp cam adjustment

What issues are you having?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: E8RCOB Evinrude 8 hp cam adjustment

It has to have the choke just right to start and needs to warm up a bit to keep running. All or part of the cam got replaced, so I need to make sure it is adjusted right. Once it starts, and the throttle is opened, it goes Wahhhh for a bit, than quits, sometimes with a back fire. This morning I checked for a spark on both coils and had one at first than lost everything. Maybe a power pack was going bad. I don't have a peak voltage adapter and haven't checked for coil wire connections and such yet today. The spark plug wires do have continuity. The carb is clean and the fuel pump works.