Johnson water flow

gcox

Cadet
Is it possible for water to enter the bottom cylinder of a 1998 60hp johnson from the exhaust housing below the powerhead mount adaptor?:confused:

gcox

Cadet
Re: Johnson water flow

Just in the bottom cylinder. How about when the motor is tilted up to get into the shallow water with a troller, can water get in then?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Tilting the engine up should not allow water into any cylinder. Is the engine running properly, you could have a blown head gasket allowing water into a cylinder.

gcox

Cadet

I know for sure it is not the head gasket. Give me more to go on.

gcox

Cadet

The bottom cylinder is wet with water and oil from the reeds to the top of the piston to the lower bearing but the lower seals are not contaminated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Daviet has give you a distinct possibility. An exhaust cover water leak can get back into the block. Typically water leaks from in the exhaust area affect the bottom cyls.

Last edited:

gcox

Cadet

It is a 1998 60 hp johnson the exhaust is casted in and the water flows around the exhaust cast.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you pull the exhaust cover off and check for any porosity on the inside face of the casting?

gcox

Cadet

Yes looks ok. Pretty clean. Shined a light in the exhuast in total darkness and no signs of a hole. Poored standing water in to see if it seeped anywhere no signs ( used plumbers puddy to hold the water in:cool:). Geez I am so lost now:confused:
Please give me more tips I will take back up tomorrow. Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You've done some correct tests on the exhaust cover to check for porosity. Some other possibilities. Any chance the head is warped? Lay it on a pc of glass and see if it is absolutely flat. A prior serious overeheat can warp that long head. Some machine shops have a special metal bar which is for measuring flatness. Any chance that you have some water in the fuel? Check for water in the bottom of the oil tank. Is the compression on the bottom cyl similar to that on the two upper cyls?

gcox

Cadet

I had the head resurfaced & installed with new gasket -#3 cly is 6lbs low from the #1 & 2- before I disassembled it. Still had the water issue.
I dont have a clue what to do, You think I should reassemble with new seals and gaskets and pray that it goes away?:facepalm:

gcox

Cadet

Where is the water coming in?
i had the head resurfaced & installed with new gasket -#3 cly is 6lbs low from the #1 & 2- before i disassembled it. Still had the water issue.
I dont have a clue what to do, you think i should reassemble with new seals and gaskets and pray that it goes away?:facepalm:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

By looking at the parts breakdown the only places that I can see for water to get into the cylinder is the exhaust cover gasket or head gasket. Unless you have a crack or hole in the block.

gcox

Cadet

I replaced all gaskets and seals for the powerhwed and exhaust manifold.
No water, tested for 2 hours cruising and on the flats looking for reds, no water.
Dont know where it was coming from, total reseal worked. :confused:

gcox

Cadet

I replaced all gaskets and seals for the powerhwed and exhaust manifold.
No water, tested for 2 hours cruising and on the flats looking for reds, no water.
Dont know where it was coming from, total reseal worked. :confused: