1970 Johnson 60 HP Shifting Issue

needwarmth

Cadet
I have a 1970 60hp Johnson outboard. When it starts, it starts in forward. It should start in neutral. I also do not have reverse. I am assuming this is a "shift solenoid" issue, but not sure. Also not sure where (or if) in the lower unit this would be located. Could this be another issue that's easier to deal with.

Short backstory...the outboard functioned fine a year ago although it did run rough due to dirty carbs. Eventually it quit due to a blown main fuse. Fuse and causal issue was resolved - or so I thought. Not sure if this is related. Any help would be appreciated...

elhombre

Seaman
Re: 1970 Johnson 60 HP Shifting Issue

I have a 1970 60hp Johnson outboard. When it starts, it starts in forward. It should start in neutral. I also do not have reverse. I am assuming this is a "shift solenoid" issue, but not sure. Also not sure where (or if) in the lower unit this would be located. Could this be another issue that's easier to deal with.

Short backstory...the outboard functioned fine a year ago although it did run rough due to dirty carbs. Eventually it quit due to a blown main fuse. Fuse and causal issue was resolved - or so I thought. Not sure if this is related. Any help would be appreciated...
I think the guruhs will weigh in with a solution here... but in the mean, let me think out loud. Are you sure this is an electric (solenoid) shift unit? Seems to me, it would be a "rigging issue" irregardless of of the type of actuation. Sounds like your shift cable has to be adjusted to regain reverse and the neutral only start function. If you don't have a shop manual for this engine, get one. I wouldn't think the lower unit is at issue here- I believe you are correct in assuming the problem is related to prior issues... keep it simple. I'm sure someone here knows exactly whats going on, good luck- Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You didn't post your model number, but you should have an electric shift lower unit. It is designed to be in forward gear until it turns over and builds pump pressure and then will shift into neutral, this may only take 3 or 4 turns of the propshaft.
You should have two wires that go down to the lower unit on the starboard side towards the rear of the engine, 1 green and 1 blue.
If you disconnect the wires and apply voltage, with the engine running, to the green wire it should shift into neutral, apply voltage to both the green and blue wire at the same time it should shift into reverse. If it shifts properly check the voltage coming from the shift switch, in neutral the green wire will have voltage, in reverse both green and blue will have voltage, in forward neither wire will have voltage. Let us know what you find.
Is the lower unit oil clean and the proper weight oil.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A model # would help also for known issues of this lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

He said it is a 1970 60hp. Daviet's reply is good.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pick one!!!!!!!
Model 60072B
Model 60072D
Model 60073B
Model 60073D
Model 60ES70B
Model 60ES70D
Model 60ESL70B
Model 60ESL70D

needwarmth

Cadet

I should clarify that when it starts, it remains in forward gear and I can't shift to neutral or reverse.

eavega

Lieutenant

First off, make sure you have the correct gear oil in the gearcase, and the right level. If that is good, do a search in the forums for Joe Reeve's hydro-electric shift troubleshooting procedures. Your problem can be the switch, the wires, the harness, the solenoid, or the gears.

Rgds

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with above, could be anyone of those things. Search for Joe Reeves trouble shooting list.