Expert advise, what to look out for on 88 90hp Chrysler outboard

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice
May be trading for a 88 model 90hp chrysler outboard and want to know what to look for as far as troubled pieces and whatnot . Going on a 24ft pontoon that has a 50 hp Johnson on it right now.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Expert advise, what to look out for on 88 90hp Chrysler outboard

Compression would be my first concern.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is a Chrysler, then it is not an 88. Chrysler sold to AMF in late 84 and the engines became Force. If it is a Chrysler 90, it can be either a three cylinder or a 4 cylinder engine depending upon the year. The four cylinder delivers a true 90 at the prop and is superior to the three cylinder 90.

If the engine has goos spark on all cylinders and good compression, there is not much else to look for. Oh, you should automatically change the water poump impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, and lower unit oil, but that's about it.

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice

Should be going to look at this motor tomorrow, owner thinks it's a 84-86
Model. He says it's a 4cyl chrysler with good compression , stainless prop and gives his word it runs just fine! Guess I'll find out , this little 50 ain't much more go than a trolling motor on this ol barge!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Ahh! 84 Chrysler four cylinder 90 Horsepower. Used to be their 105 but when ratings changed to prop horsepower, they downrated it to 90. Good engine, lots of torque compared to the three cylinder. That's one in my avatar.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

One thing the prop will probably need to be changed.
It's probably the wrong pitch and won't perform right on a pontoon boat.
Just something to remember.J

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice

What has to be done to hook this up to controls for a Johnson? Is the plugs going to be the same or do I get to rewire the whole thing? The Chrysler has power tilt/trim and mine does not. I have Brp controls and it has the hole for the trim switch! I hope I get the controls for this engine but I'm sure the cables will be too short for my app!

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice

ok, checked it out and its an inline 4cyl engine. It fired right off after jumping the solinoid and squirting fuel in the carbs. Checked the compression and all 4 have 118-120 psi, is that real good or just good? Never in y life have I seen a inline 4 outboard , looks like a flat head sitting on its end!! Tilt trim worked fine too after jumping the wires on it . Someone done yanked and cut all the wires out of the boat so I basically get a motor an ignition switch and the control is missing the lever! I gotta figure out if I can use the ignition switch on my controls and just add the tilt trim on it??? Anyone know if that can be done easily?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OMC controls will not work with the Chrysler. Cables are standard teleflex threaded ends. Look for a control handl on ebay--you may need to buy a whole control box. Wiring is different than OMC too. Power tilt/trim can easily be run off a separate M-O-M switch but you need to know if it is a three wire motor or a two wire motor.

None of the problems are insurmountable, but you will need to put in a little time. Search the forum for posts on wiring the ignition switch--it has been discussed many times.

You said that wiring was cut yet it fired after jumping the solenoid This is typical for the Prestolite ignition--it is self energising and no wiring from switch to engine is necessary to start. STOPPING, however, does take a wired ignition switch.

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice

So would you say this would be a good reliable engine? I'm getting pretty deep into the pocket on this pontoon and I really cant spend much more without really being upside down on it! So there is no way to adapt the cable end to my control huh! That really stinks as I just bought the controls 2 weeks ago and paid a pretty penny for em!