CHRIS CRAFT "Viking" 1982 Cabin Cruiser Restoration (With Pics & Video!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
CHRIS CRAFT "Viking" 1982 Cabin Cruiser Restoration (With Pics & Video!!!)

*** Alrighty, I've re-named this post, as I'm just going to continue after the hull is done... ***

*** ENGINE IS OUT July 23, 2011 *** Videos are Posted ***

1. Re-finish the hull by grinding, sanding, filling, fairing, priming and painting the hull.

2. New Outdrive. *** Removing Outdrive today 06/17/2011 *** Look for video>>> In post #72...

3. New steering.

4. New throttle and Trim controls.

5. Re-furbish fuel tanks and fuel system.

6. New cockpit lay-out and materials.

7. New upholstery for cabin interior.

8. *** Swim Platform Re-Core Post #164 *** UPDATED 08-12-2011 ***

Hey guys, I've got my boat off the trailer and am ready to open up the bubbles on the hull and begin the repair process. I've done tons of research and even printed an entire book's worth of material on how to complete the hull repair. Grinding, sanding, glassing and fairing.

My QUESTION is do I Paint or Gelcoat?

My boat is fresh water only and is stored on a trailer when not in the water. Best case scenario, I probably only get about 5 or 6 weekends a year in which to drop her in on a Friday evening and stay on the water til Sunday evening then haul her out again. I do plan to increase this as I get closer to retirement, but that's many years down the road.

I will be doing all the repairs myself and will do all the Paint or Gelcoat myself, so what would be best for my purposes. Here's the boat now that it's off the trailer.

Thanks...

Attachments

• boatlift001.jpg
    boatlift001.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 3
  • boatlift002.jpg
    boatlift002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 3
  • boatlift003.jpg
    boatlift003.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? Gelcoat or Paint???

Oh WOW!!! PLEASE Tell me all that Cribbing is nailed Together and not just stacke on top of each other!!!! IMHO you need to build MUCH more substantial support for that boat before you EVER consider getting underneath her to do any sort of repairs. That is a disater waiting to happen!!!!!:eek:

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES !!! All That cribbing is very, very securely fastened together! She is quite sturdy up there in the air and with the 2 x 4's wedged in on each side, me and my buddy tried shaking her and she doesn't budge an inch.

In reference to the disaster waiting to happen. I followed the advice of people on this forum to perform the lift and the support. There will be at least two more Logs underneath and two more 2 x 4's wedged in on each side before I crawl underneath her, but trust me she isn't going anywhere!

Any advice on Paint or Gelcoat???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK, she just looks a little scary!!!!! But if you're OK with it, then It's ok by me.

As for the Paint or Gelcoat issue. Like my mom used to say it's 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of another. Since you Trailer the boat it is not going to make a huge difference. Here on the forum the PRO's will say Gelcoat it and the DIY'ers with say Paint it. Gelcoating involves spraying, sanding, buffing, and polishing. Painting involves prepping and spraying and sometimes clearcoating. Time, Effort and Costs are relatively the same but that is Debatable too, based on your experience with either. Better pics of the Hull, especially any areas that may require patching or repair will help us to help you evaluate the whole process. Regardless you have come to the right place and you WILL receive some of the BEST advice that you can receive ANYWHERE on the WWW.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Paint, not gelcoat. If I was you I'd paint it. Did I mention I'd paint it. The work involved in gelcoating the bottom of the hull is very intense, lots of sanding and buffing which is no fun on your back.

There are several good paints on the market...I perfer Dupont Imron, but others are out there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You may have already thought this out in detail since you said you have researched it a great deal....but.

How bad are the blisters and are they causing real problems?

What method and products do you plan to use? this will help determine the finish you use.

Do you have the time, money and ambition to finish the project...correctly?

Doing this type of work upside down is a killer, especially having to work around strakes and supports.

boatdog1

Recruit

gel-coat. I assume they are worse under the trailer bunks. they appear through osmosis. Most newer boats have a barrier coat between the glass and gel. You need to grind off the blisters and let dry. Scuff inside for prep and to remove dead glass. mix gel with aerosil or another thickining agent to consistancy of paste,catylize with mekp and using a spreader fill to level. after it kicks sand with block and 320 grit just below level and sand outer edges with 600. Clean with acetone and shoot fresh gel mixed with duratec and mekp to just beyond edge. then finish out gel 600,1000,then buff to desired finish. then wax. gel has very close to the same properties as glass, so it can flex, expand and contract at the same rate. Paint is never recommended for underwaterline for fiberglass. If you can find a manufacturer that will guarantee paint please post it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats

This is not a good method to fix blisters, there is far more work and money involved.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats

This is not a good method to fix blisters, there is far more work and money involved.

I assume you're telling boatdog1 his recommended method isn't a good way to fix the blisters. I agree. I have all the research and opinions from many and have already decided that I am fixing the blisters as recommended in "Gelcoat Blisters, Diagnosis, Repair & Prevention. A guide for repairing and preventing gelcoat blisters in fiberglass boats with West System brand Epoxy." This 52 page guide, along with about another 50 pages of articles and suggested repair methods makes up all of my knowledge on the subject of blister repair, and I am comfortable with the methods prescribed.

I will have some pictures of the blisters soon and will have some opened up shortly, so expect pics by this evening.

Thanks...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now, by NO MEANS, am I a Blister expert, I just read alot and try to absorb what I learn. I Archive everything I find and I found this on Blisters. Thought you might like to do some Reading on the subject...

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now, by NO MEANS, am I a Blister expert, I just read alot and try to absorb what I learn. I Archive everything I find and I found this on Blisters. Thought you might like to do some Reading on the subject...

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm

Thank you for the link... I think I have almost all of those articles printed out and filed neatly in my "book" Believe me, I have done the most I feel I can to educate myself on the subject. Here's the "book"

Attachments

• The book 001.jpg
    The book 001.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so here's what she looks like in detail. I think most will agree. The blistering problem is minimal and I attribute everything being nice and dry to the fact that she's been out of the water since last November.

#1. Longitudinal down the hull, giving an idea of the blistering, and the nastiness under the bunks. :-(

#2. A blister cut open with a razor knife.

#3. Same blister with all the top removed, exposing loose, but dry fiberglass.

#4. Same blister with tape measure for scale. This is representative of 99% of all the blisters.

#5. Blister after some mild grinding with a fairly abrasive wheel and an air grinder.

*** See next post for more and additional pictures. ***

Attachments

• Blisters001.jpg
    Blisters001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Blistercutopen001.jpg
    Blistercutopen001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Blistercutopen002.jpg
    Blistercutopen002.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Blistermeasure001.jpg
    Blistermeasure001.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
  • Blistergrind001.jpg
    Blistergrind001.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

*** Continued from above. ***

#6. Several blisters all ground down together, and kind of what I envision the entire hull looking like before I fill, fair & paint or gelcoat. Granted, I know there's a lot more to do, but y'all understand.

Opening the few up that I did, they are all very, very shallow, I mean nothing more than an 1/8 of an inch in depth once the stringy loose glass was removed. There is no moisture in any of them, so now I'm wondering??? Do I need to re-glass these, or could I just use a West System epoxy to fill, let it cure, sand it down and paint or re gelcoat the bottom. All thoughts are welcomed.

Attachments

• Blistersground001.jpg
    Blistersground001.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

*** Continued from above. ***

#6. Several blisters all ground down together, and kind of what I envision the entire hull looking like before I fill, fair & paint or gelcoat. Granted, I know there's a lot more to do, but y'all understand.

Opening the few up that I did, they are all very, very shallow, I mean nothing more than an 1/8 of an inch in depth once the stringy loose glass was removed. There is no moisture in any of them, so now I'm wondering??? Do I need to re-glass these, or could I just use a West System epoxy to fill, let it cure, sand it down and paint or re gelcoat the bottom. All thoughts are welcomed.

Are these blisters all over the bottom ?? !!

Looks too "green" to me ..

Forget about Paint or gel atm.. ( I am thinking gel .. but I digress due to the unknowns here ).

No water..but that green glass is kinda sorta looking like undercatted gel and pockets of air in the lams.

When you have Undercured resin under the gel .. its possible that water started to react to the resin .. Creating Glycol as a end result of the water and uncured resin.

Your pics would normally dictate impacts and not delam from blisters. .. but IF no impacts were present then you have a Green lammed boat IMHO .. meaning the chains are NOT complete and therefor what we are seeing is a cross reaction of water with uncured resin ...

Its hard to say over pics and not really "feeling" the grind out and "seeing the reaction" from the grind outs ..

Hope you know what Im saying here .. It should be in your Books of Info .. ..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's interesting that the blisters follow the strakes, at least that's what it looks like in the pics. This normally means there was a putty used to fill the strakes after the skin coat, but I can't really see any putty in the pics. If there is putty in the strakes and it's the only area affected, it means you don't need to do an entire normal blister repair, but if there are blisters most everywhere, then you will need to.

If there is nothing different between the areas that are currently blistering and those that aren't, then you need to do the entire hull. As you probably know already, you need to grind off all the gel coat, then all the blistered laminate, let it dry, then replace any laminate you removed, seal the surface, fair the surface, then paint. If you don't do all of it the rest of the hull will blister at some time in the future.

The other thing is if you use epoxy then gel coat isn't really an option, it just doesn't bond all that well.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

For Yacht Dr.:

I don't think it is a green lammed boat. This thing is solid as an oak, and the only "real" damage I see is the gelcoat, and a TINY bit of glass beneath. Like previously stated. None of the blisters are more than an 1/8 inch deep. That's probably over-estimating their depth.

For ondarvr:

YES, for the most part the Blisters do follow the strakes, but there is nothing to indicate any putty in the strakes. There are a few blisters here and there on the flat surfaces of the hull, but once again, nothing bad at all, and nothing moist whatsoever. It is dry as the mojave in there... OK, so if I fill with fiberglass, mind you, there's very little if anything to fill, I can paint or gelcoat, but if I choose to fill with epoxy, you're saying paint only?

Thanks for the feedback...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is one thing I can comment on. Gelcoat does NOT adhere well to epoxy... IF at all. Lot's of debate on the subject. With special prep and special Gelcoat some say it can be done, but ondarrvr and Yacht Doctor I'm pretty sure are gunna say It's not gunna work. Your boat is constructed out of Poly and you should stay with it. That's my opinion anyway.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The laminate doesn't need to be under cured to blister, but an under cured laminate may blister sooner and worse than a fully cured one.

Epoxy and gel coat aren't the best of friends, so when it comes to a finish, paint will be what you need.

Blistering is a long term process and just because you don't see blisters doesn't mean the laminate isn't being broken down by the water and will eventually blister everywhere just like on the strakes. That's why I was asking if there was anything different about the area where you currently have blisters and the rest of the hull, if there's no difference, then expect the rest of the hull to eventually do the same thing. This is why its sort of an all or nothing deal, if you fix the current blisters and do nothing to the rest of the hull, the rest of it will eventually blister too, so all the work you do now will have been wasted.

If all you do is use this boat 5 or 6 times a year and it will be many years before use it more, it may not be worth fixing it now. I only say that because people's priorities change, you may put a tremendous amount of money, time and energy into it now planning to use in the future, not use it much over the next few years, then sell it.

With the few times you plan to use it each year the blisters probably aren't going to get any worse, it won't be until retirement and you leave it in the water for longer periods of time that they will increase in numbers.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can colour the West System Epoxy to match the boat. Don't paint it, if you want a 'permanent' fix, go to West Marine and pick up the necessary supplies. Good luck.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Boats are these little holes in the water we all get into the habit of throwing our money into for the fun of it. "Worst Marine" will make the hole as big as the Grand Canyon. Shop around and you will find much much better deals than what you get from them in most cases. Good luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.