Salt water chlorinator for pool

bigdee

Commander
Has anyone had any experience with a SWG (salt water generator)? I have just installed one on my pool and just wondering what to expect. It is pretty cool to make your own chlorine by just hitting a switch. I turned my on for the first time last night and after several hours the pool had a nice smell and feel to it. It was a chore to add +500 lbs of salt to the pool but I will not have to do it again as the chlorine turns back into salt after it does its job and the process just keeps repeating itself.

superbenk

Commander
Re: Salt water chlorinator for pool

We have one on our pool. You do have to add salt from time to time, but it's supposedly much less of a hassle than dealing with chemicals. Also, your generator should run on a schedule to circulate the entire pool water contents twice a day (I think). My dad has taken on the responsibility of maintaining our pool so I'm not directly involved, but the SWG definitely seems like the way to go!

The water is so much less harsh to eyes & skin too!

emoney

Commander

I'm not a big fan, only because I've had one that failed and they're not cheap to repair. But yes, you will have to add salt from time to time, and I believe it's best to run your pump more than you would need to if you're just using a chlorinator.

I found the absolute easiest way to maintain my pool and it works wonderful. The pool looks like a bath tub and there's absolutely ZERO effort on my part.......I pay a pool guy $100.00 a month and he does it all:D

(in reality, if I could go backwards, the money spent on the pool would've gone into another boat or something similar since NO ONE ever gets in mine:facepalm:)

bigdee

Commander

[QUOTE=

(in reality, if I could go backwards, the money spent on the pool would've gone into another boat or something similar since NO ONE ever gets in mine

I have to agree...a pool is more of a money pit than a boat. I spent over $900 last year on chemicals. The price of the SWG,salt and muriatic acid came to less than that. So next year my costs ( including electricity to run the SWG should run around $150. With chemicals I ran my pump 27/7 so I will actually run the pump less

superbenk

Commander

We use our pool almost everyday - especially now that it's approaching 100? around here.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Certified Pool Operator for 12 years now...

Salt water generators? My opinion? Throw them on the curb and say free.
The cells require constant cleaning to be efficient, plus when they break they are expensive to replace. Not to mention the initial cost of the equipment. And not cheap to run.

Any system I would put in would be the standard chemical controllers with Liquid Chlorine and liquid acid. This would be for a large pool. 10000 gallons or larger in commercial settings, or a chlorine puck system for residential homes between 10000 and 20000. Larger then that for homes would be liquid for me all the way.

bigdee

Commander

So far it has worked beyond my expectations. I have well water with lots of iron that turns brown and takes 4-6 weeks to clear up. This is the first time in 30 years that my water did not turn into rust....the iron did precipitate in the filter but did not stain the water. My only concern is the risk of damage from thunderstorms but the technology of this device is fairly crude so I think I should be able to repair it if it becomes necessary.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I have not touched my SWCG pool in 5 weeks, and it is perfect. Critical: pH 7.2-7.6, alkalinity about 120, cyuranic acid (stabilizer) 70-80. IMHO cyuranic acid is the most critical. Get a good test kit. Check out the forums at Pool Solutions http://www.poolsolutions.com/ lots of discussions on how to test and maintain a salt water pool. Have fun.

oldskool7_11

Cadet

salt generators do more than just produce chlorine. the water is softer because of the salt and the chlorine level can be adjusted to the smallest amount necessary. i maintain about 85 pools a week with about 30 salt. the chemicals in the salt pools are more consistent and the chemical cost is less. only a few of them require regular cleaning. they are becoming more affordable but are still pretty pricey.

bigdee

Commander

salt generators do more than just produce chlorine. the water is softer because of the salt and the chlorine level can be adjusted to the smallest amount necessary. i maintain about 85 pools a week with about 30 salt. the chemicals in the salt pools are more consistent and the chemical cost is less. only a few of them require regular cleaning. they are becoming more affordable but are still pretty pricey.

The brand I bought was COMPU POOL sized for 26,000 gallons. The price was $540 which is about half of what I spent on chemicals last year. All my test readings are in the mid range and I have not made any adjustments yet. I have stocked up on muriatic acid because I was told SWCG increases PH but so far it is remaining stable. I appreciate everyone's input.

bigdee

Commander

Update.......I love my SWG four weeks now and I have the clearest water that I have ever had and I have not touched or added anything in 4 weeks. After 30 years of hating my pool I am finally getting to enjoy it. If all I have to do is replace the salt cell every 3 years for $300 I will be happy!

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my wife is allergic to water. you can Google it she is allergic to water. even in the shower on city water she gets red welts after bathing. the only pool we go to uses the salt filter to make choline. this is the only time she can get into the water and enjoy herself. i don't have a pool but the place we go to on the weekends uses the salt filter. not only does the water have a less chlorine smell it makes you skin feel good, almost like the ocean. ( allergic to ocean water as well.) my brother works in a factory in Ohio that makes these kind of filters. i don't know how much they cost or the effectiveness but my allergic wife can only swim in a salt filtered pool. if i ever bought a house that had a pool it would be filled in quickly. if the old lady gave me a hard time i would get a salt filtered pool.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I built the Hard Rock Hotel in Albuquerque, NM. We went SWG as the projected cost savings to the owner were $28,000 annually with superior hygene. Big pool! They are very happy with the system and no heavy chlorine odors wafting through the spa.

Hondanut

Recruit

Hi, i work for a pool service here in fla. Generally the salt generator should run at the same time as the filter pump

bigdee

Commander

Hi, i work for a pool service here in fla. Generally the salt generator should run at the same time as the filter pump

I am still experimenting but right now I'm running pump and SWG 16 hours a day with the SWG set at 50% output. I have the pump/filter and SWG automated with a PLC so it is very easy to make adjustments. All my test readings have been in the middle except for the chlorine which is on the high-end (4ppm). I am still a little nervous of getting a green pool so that is why the chlorine is a little high...as my confidence builds I will lower the setting on the SWG.

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

My company sells pools and spas. 90% of the pool buyers and about 70% of our hot tub buyers get salt water systems. They are fantastic, customers love them.

Algae hates salt water btw. You can lower that % bigdee.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert but I have been maintaining my own pool for quite a few years. The comments about strong chlorine odor got my attention. From what I have read, that should never be the case if the levels are maintained properly. Free chlorine in the range of 1-2ppm does not smell like chlorine at all. The water has a pleasant smell but not a hint of chlorine odor. If it has an overpowering smell of chlorine there is too much bound up chlorine (chloramines- needs shocking) or it's seriously over-dosed. My pool water never smells like chlorine and always tests in the correct range.

I keep the pool covered when not in use and that cuts down on heat loss, evaporation and chemical needs.

bigdee

Commander

I'm no expert but I have been maintaining my own pool for quite a few years. The comments about strong chlorine odor got my attention. From what I have read, that should never be the case if the levels are maintained properly. Free chlorine in the range of 1-2ppm does not smell like chlorine at all. The water has a pleasant smell but not a hint of chlorine odor. If it has an overpowering smell of chlorine there is too much bound up chlorine (chloramines- needs shocking) or it's seriously over-dosed. My pool water never smells like chlorine and always tests in the correct range.

I keep the pool covered when not in use and that cuts down on heat loss, evaporation and chemical needs.

The key word is "maintaining"........that is what I wanted to get away from. It is so nice to look at a very clean pool and not have to do anything.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't knocking your choice, only responding to the comments about excessive chlorine odor. I mentioned maintaining my pool so people might understand I do my own work. However, since you brought up maintenance time- Mine's not a big pool, around 10k gallons. Costs me about $150/season (4-5 months) in chemicals (slow dissolving chlorine sticks and PH up). Takes me <1 minute to add a stick or two to the strainer basket each week. Cleaning the filter is the only chore. However, it doesn't get dirty very often using the cover. I like to clean it about 1x/month and that takes about an hour. It's a DE type and I take it apart to rinse off all the media so it's like new each time. I use the DE alternative media, it's like cellulose or something. So overall, not bad for me.

bigdee

Commander

I wasn't knocking your choice, only responding to the comments about excessive chlorine odor. I mentioned maintaining my pool so people might understand I do my own work. However, since you brought up maintenance time- Mine's not a big pool, around 10k gallons. Costs me about $150/season (4-5 months) in chemicals (slow dissolving chlorine sticks and PH up). Takes me <1 minute to add a stick or two to the strainer basket each week. Cleaning the filter is the only chore. However, it doesn't get dirty very often using the cover. I like to clean it about 1x/month and that takes about an hour. It's a DE type and I take it apart to rinse off all the media so it's like new each time. I use the DE alternative media, it's like cellulose or something. So overall, not bad for me.

No,I appreciate your comments. I am in the south with high temps and humidity so it was costing around 4-5 hundred dollars to maintain my pool (24k gallons) with chemicals. If it rains here and no one is around to shock the pool you end up with algae. It is a big benefit to me to be able to go stay at the lake for a week and come home to a clean pool! I suspect there are negative points to a salt pool but right now I'm tickled to death with it.