9.9 Mariner Fuel issues

benmatt78

Recruit
I have 9.9 Mariner, prob a 95-99 model. Only way I can get the motor full throttle is to pull the choke out all the way, which presses a arm down on top of the accelerator pump(blue button/needle) and seems to allow more fuel flow. I have replaced every gasket on the carb, new accelerator pump and fuel pump kits have been installed, and I have cleaned the carb as well. Not sure where to go to next.. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 9.9 Mariner Fuel issues

Check the exhaust port. It could be carboned up.

benmatt78

Recruit

Thanks, Joed! Now that you say that, it sat up for a couple years, and when I decided to get it running, there was some black, liquid (im guessing carbon) oozing out of the exhaust port, well this year when i decided to get it running, I never saw anything oozing out of the exhaust port! What do you recommend to unclog it?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just say that because I had a similar issue with a 95 mariner that would not idle or run well at full throttle. Everyone kept telling me to clean the carb. After taking it apart 4 times I finally took the unit to the dealer. He cleaned the carb again and then pulled the power head and the exhaust port was almost totally plugged with solid carbon deposits. He had to chip them out with a chisel.
As understand it, it is four bolts and new gasket to pull the powerhead.