How much horse power do i need for yacht?

stonedpirate

Recruit
Hi,

I have a small 20' trailer sailer that weights about 700kg loaded.

It currently has an old 5hp 2 stroke outboard and it does the job.

If I wanted a new 4stroke, would 5hp be enough? Or do i need to double it?

The thing is, in my country you dont need a licence for boats under 6HP so i am hoping to get away with a small 4stroke.

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much horse power do i need for yacht?

I wouldn't think a 5 would do you much good if there was any wind in your way. I'd want a high thrust 9.9 minimum or preferably a 15 for that 20'.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A new 5hp 4-stroke will have more power then an older 2-stroke of the same hp simply because its newer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A new 5hp 4-stroke will have more power then an older 2-stroke of the same hp simply because its newer.

Not appreciably and it will also be loads heavier.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my opinion, 5 hp will be enough. Here's another consideration: The higher power motors are propped with a higher pitch for higher speed. Top speed on your displacement sailboat is limited by its waterline length to probably around 5 knots or less. Even for punching into waves, the extra power is wasted, and will result in cavitation with the higher pitched prop. It may be possible to find a lower pitched prop for the bigger motor, but I think the choices are limited in the smaller sizes.

nwcove

Admiral

I wouldn't think a 5 would do you much good if there was any wind in your way. I'd want a high thrust 9.9 minimum or preferably a 15 for that 20'.

i have never been on a sail boat, but i agree. in certain situations, 5 hp isnt much to fight against a strong crosswind in a narrow channel. take the safe boating course, up your horsepower (unless the mount isnt rated for it!) .......no replacement for displacement!