West Marine Solstice

copperandblue

Recruit
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the West Marine Solstice.

Like many others I am pretty limited in options, as I live in a condo with limited storage. I was thinking about using it primarily for fishing in local lakes with a 30-40lb electric trolling motor.

If anyone has used it in the past, do the oars use an oar lock system? In the one photo on the site it looked like it had them, however in they weren't in use.

I would be inflating/deflating after each use.

Any input would be great.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: West Marine Solstice

Are low price vynil motor mounted sibs, fabric is thin though matching basic entry level price, should have good warranty.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10110&subdeptNum=10594&classNum=10642

Thanks for the reply,

Its listed as welded PVC which is the main reason I was considering it.

You cannot glue as in standard sibs, cause are 2 folded welded fabric at side seams if happen to be same type as Sevylor, Intex models. (The ones that don't use lateral rubstrakes) If traditionally seam assembled as in standard sibs, you can.

Happy Boating

copperandblue

Recruit

Thanks again,

I guess my only other question is if the pvc is worth the extra 200 over the vinyl models your mentioned earlier?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you can get a sib that size for another $ 200 extra and thicker pvc fabric go for it... To make it cheaper, Solstice uses a 0.45 mm thin like shower welded curtin pvc fabric :D

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

I don't know how you came up with it but is very funny and intelligent at the same time (I mean the shower thing)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

To get the idea clear, some brands uses thin plastic fabrics (heavy duty shower curtains) that stretches sideways, have no 3 core layers for fabric stiffness as found on pvc fabrics. Definetely a thin 0.45 mm pvc fabric is superior to same plastic gauge fabric as found on Sevylor, Intex type sibs. That's why cost a tad more...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Thanks again,

I guess my only other question is if the pvc is worth the extra 200 over the vinyl models your mentioned earlier?

The word "vynil" seems is a WM web page miss information issue...Don't know why WM calles vynil sib when it's made according to their bottom web page tech specs as pvc material, which has nothing to do with vynil fabrics ? The correction Should be a pvc, not a vynil sib. It's always good to know what you are buying...

Happy Boating

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The word "vynil" seems is a WM web page miss information issue...Don't know why WM calles vynil sib when it's made according to their bottom web page tech specs as pvc material, which has nothing to do with vynil fabrics ? The correction Should be a pvc, not a vynil sib. It's always good to know what you are buying...

Happy Boating

Errr... the V in PVC is vinyl. There are lots of vinyl polymers but according to Wikipedia "in popular usage, 'vinyl' refers only to polyvinyl chloride (PVC)."

Whether it's described as PVC or vinyl doesn't tell you how suitable the boat is for the intended purpose (ie. shower curtain vs. Zodiac-type material).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Although is the same generic word for this fabric, for boat manufactures the word PVC stands for the suitable 3 layer core material used in more pro inflatables compared to the non core vynil fabric used in cheap first entry inflatables. Boating speaking don't know anybody reffering to a vynil sib/rib boat, all are known/reffered as PVC or Hypalon as being the most popular. Check other WM inflatables, all are reffered to as PVC, haypalon, except for this model ?

Happy Boating