Noticed oil dripping from my 88 Johnson

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was walking around the back of my boat today and noticed oil dripping out of the bottom of what looks to be where the powerhead is connected to the leg. The motor is a 1988 Johnson 88hp SPL. It runs great, i just noticed this issue today.
I took some pics to show what i'm talking about.
012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

I removed the plastic cover that is on the bottom of the powerhead/leg area and noticed there was a bunch of oil and gunk laying there so i cleaned it out and also there were two 7/16 bolts on the top ( top two bolts in first pics ) that were about a 1/2 of a wrench turn loose, so i tightened them thinking this could be causing a leak. Anyway if any of you guys have an idea of what might be causing this leak, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Noticed oil dripping from my 88 Johnson

The bolts you tightened may be where the exhaust adapter bolts to the midsection. There is no gasket between these surfaces and should be no exhaust leakage at that point. It is possible the leakage is just above that, where the powerhead mounts to the midsection? There is a critical gasket (powerhead base gasket) there which has been known deteriorate and leak over time on these V4 crossflow engines. The leak usually takes the form of exhaust, dirty, thick black oily tar mixture. If this is the problem, you may also have exhaust smoke leaking into the cowling area when the engine is running. While a really messy situation, it is not any type of fatal problem. The worst of it is that any exhaust smoke that leaks into the cowling will get reingested into the carb throats while the engine is running. That's why you should get the situation corrected quickly.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, the powerhead base gasket is leaking. This gasket forms a seal for the exhaust and the cooling water passages. It's a thick gasket, aluminum sandwiched between paper. I would first try retorquing the 8 bolts and and 4 nuts that hold on the powerhead. If that does not solve the leak, then you will have to pull the powerhead.

That motor looks familiar. Did you buy it from a guy in Liverpool, TX? Just curious

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your responses. What you said makes sense the oil is very thick and tar like and it kinda appears that there might be a little bit a water condensation leaking from around there also while the motor is running. But there is no smoke in the cowling while it is running. Is there a sight on the internet where i can find a diagram of the motor to show where the bolts/nuts are that hold the powerhead on?

DargelJohn, I bought it from a guy in Gun Barrel City, Tx he lived on Ceder Creak lake about 9 months ago.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That powerhead base gasket also seals the water passage from the lower unit to the powerhead, so if the gasket is loose, you may see some minor water leakage. Good that you have no exhaust leakage in the cowling!

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot. I ordered a Seloc Manuel for 28 bucks figured it would help a little.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You get much more for your money with a genuine factory service manual.