Mercruiser 165hp SHift Shaft help.

DFozzard

Cadet
Hello, I am a noobie to boating but I am an ASE Mechanic. However I just bought a 76 Glastron with a 165hp mercruiser. I took it out and noticed that it did not shift into gear right away. I tore the lower unit off and noticed my shift shaft in lower unit is worn out to the nub. Do I have to tear the whole unit down to replace it or does it pull out from the top? Tried to get a manual from local library but no luck. Thank you in advance for your help.

DFozzard

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 165hp SHift Shaft help.

update. yup the shaft just slides right out and drop the new one right back in. NOTE must have the drive in forward gear before removing shaft. lower unit goes right into gear with no problem what so ever. Also make sure when you purchase a new shaft to get the new bushing with the seal to put new one back in. Peace of cake............

DFozzard

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 165hp SHift Shaft help.

Almost forgot. here is the instructions on how to this >>>>
just slides right out .READ AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IT,a mistake here will require the dis-assembly of the lower

to put in back in correctly. Take a measurement of how high the old shaft is. I loosen and unthread the bushing

first, holding the top of the shaft with my thumb I slide the bushing up some for a handel. DO NOT REMOVE SHAFT

Lay the drive down so that the lower driveshaft is horizontal and the prop shaft is vertical.This helps keep the

shift dog in foward by gravity.Verify by trying to turn the prop shaft counterclockwise.VERY CAREFULLY

,gently wiggle the shaft free .install the new bushing on the new shaft partway to act as a handel.

CAREFULLY insert unit you feel it bottom out, verify the measurement .If the same, install and tighten bushing

, check shift operation.