1972 "SAFTMATE" inboard engine johnson outboard/prop???

John_99stang

Recruit
Just bought this boat and have no idea what the make of the engine is. It has a johnson outdrive on it, and from what i could find on the net about the boat says that it should be an evinrude, gm, or ford...?? It's a 4cyl 2 stroke i think? The carb and choke are on the bottom right side if your in the boat. Plugs are J4C champion marine. Anyone know anything about these boat or this set-up because all i can find on the net for saftmate boats are outboard motors.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 "SAFTMATE" inboard engine johnson outboard/prop???

I don't even know where to possibly move this thread to get you more help. I do know that probably have one of the most obsolete powerplants you could find and parts and service are going to be a nightmare for that thing. Do you have any pictures of the boat? I have heard of this unusual powerplant before but I thought it was only used in Johnson and Evinrude branded boats. Didn't know that any other manufacturers used it. Maybe these links will be of some help http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1972 "SAFTMATE" inboard engine johnson outboard/prop???

I moved it here from the Volvo forum, It's definitely not a Volvo. The motor is a 2 cycle (outboard powerhead) and similar to the Mercury Ldrive.

A few pictures would be a very good idea when trying to ID anything.