Quick question on Mercruiser outdrive swap.

cschaf

Recruit
we just replaced the outdrive off our 4 cylinder mercruiser and put one on off of a v-8. just curious what kind of prop would be recomended to offset the gear ratio.

45Auto

Commander
Re: Quick question on Mercruiser outdrive swap.

I did the same thing. I replaced a 16' Mark Twain 4 cylinder outdrive with a V8 outdrive.

If you want to keep the RPM's the same, then new gear ratio / old gear ratio = new prop size / old prop size.

So new prop size = old prop size x new gear ratio / old gear ratio.

Engines of a certain size tend to perform best with props within certain ranges. If you made a big jump in gear ratios it's sometimes going to require a prop that may put your boat out of it's most efficient range. However, sometimes you get lucky and it all works OK!

In my case, I replaced a 1.98 outdrive with a 1.5 outdrive. Boat originally had a 19" pitch prop. So my calculated replacement prop pitch is:

19 x 1.5 / 1.98 = 14.39"

I found a stainless 15" pitch prop on the local Craigs list for $75, the boat runs like new.

Last edited:

cschaf

Recruit

how would i find out the gear ratio?

Bondo

Staff member

how would i find out the gear ratio?

Ayuh,... It's off a V8, so it's 1.50:1...

You'd need a prop pitch of 9 or 11"...
They only go down to 15"...
That's WHY ya can't run that drive on that motor...

45Auto

Commander

The gear ratio should be stamped on the port side of the upper half of the outdrive.

If it's an original 4 cylinder outdrive, it's probably 1.98, 2.00, 1.84, or 1.94.

A V8 outdrive is usually 1.47, 1.61, 1.5, or 1.65.

In any case, you're going to be reducing the gear ratio by approximately 25% (prop will spin about 25% faster) so you'll need to reduce the prop pitch by the same ratio to keep everything working correctly. For example, if you're currently using a 17" prop and went from a 2.00:1 to a 1.47:1 outdrive, you would need a prop pitch of 17 x 1.47 / 2 = 12.5".

As Bondo says, it's possible you'll have a difficult time finding an appropriate prop depending on what you started with.