Knocking under a load

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 75 hp chrysler been running like a champ untill today. I was on the river going 25 mph then stop to go over some sticks. When I put it back in gear in knocks and can not go fast. But its ok in (N) gear. Then i pulled it out and ran a hose to it and it ran fine. But under load it knocks. What can this be??? Please help me??

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Knocking under a load

Sounds like the lower unit.....drop the gear oil and see what it looks like. Look for any metal particles. (Drain into a clean container, preferably your wifes white tupperware 2 quart thingy...just don't tell her! The white will make it easier to see any particles.)

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the lower unit.....drop the gear oil and see what it looks like. Look for any metal particles. (Drain into a clean container, preferably your wifes white tupperware 2 quart thingy...just don't tell her! The white will make it easier to see any particles.)

I try it.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check spark, compression, and fuel/fuel delivery. I am guessing spark or fuel. However, changing gear oil is a sure fire way of seeing if there is anything wrong in the gearcase. Let us know what you find :)

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another thought, how old is your fuel? and is the motor timed correctly? Have you pulled the flywheel?

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel is new, and yes timed correctly. No did not pull flywheel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Depending upon what you are calling knocking, it could be lower unit drive dogs or block bearings. Do not do anything or remove anything yet. When you get here Sunday, we will sort it out.

If the engine is making a deep thudding sound, jumping and vibrating the boat at almost regular intervals under load and it does not increase the same as RPM, then it is most likely mal-adjusted or worn drive dogs.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending upon what you are calling knocking, it could be lower unit drive dogs or block bearings. Do not do anything or remove anything yet. When you get here Sunday, we will sort it out.

If the engine is making a deep thudding sound, jumping and vibrating the boat at almost regular intervals under load and it does not increase the same as RPM, then it is most likely mal-adjusted or worn drive dogs.

See ya sunday

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know what it turns out to be.....btw, when you 'stopped' to go over some sticks, did you shift to neutral and float over them, or shut the motor off? (The point: Even in neutral, that prop can still spin, and if you hit a large 'stick'....see what I'm getting at? Lower unit????)

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was having a reverse grear slipping before this happen. So when I put it in fwd it sounds like a knocking and the motor start to shake. But cant go pass 10 mph.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm betting it was just time to go then....not related to the sticks. Lower units are easy to work on. The problem is that some parts are very expensive. (Not just the Force parts, either!) I'd drop the lower unit, and start disassembling to see where the problem lies.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took my motor to Frank today. We did a compression test, all I can say is Wow I got 150 on all three. That now bad for a 1980. Just like new.. So anyway we tested the lower unit and found some grinding. So it will be a easyer fix then motor. And cost less to. For my 75hp todo 36mph is not bad on my 15'. I hope to get it running very soon.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When you stopped here this morning I described to you various kinds of knocking, you told me what you had, and and we determined that your problem was most likely the lower unit. Upon disconnecting the shift rod it was obvious that the shift was binding inside the lower unit.

Well, as I told you on the phone: The pinion broke a tooth which ground up at least 1/3 of the forward gear teeth. When I drained the oil, it came out silver from the steel particles in it so the bearings are contaminated with metal. The reverse gear is also damaged and chips of metal are lodged between the drive clutch and prop shaft splines. This was binding the clutch and making it difficult to go into gear. The chunks even damaged the pinion nut!

As I also told you, there is a good bit of corrosion damage inside the case at the water pick-up. So, The case is useable but marginal. All in all, the whole lower unit is toast, just about the only thing salvageable is the drive shaft.

You are lucky it got you home!

However, On the phone I told you that I did not have a 2 to 1 lower unit---in fact, I forgot about my blue and white 90 sitting in the back of the garage. It has a 2 to 1 in perfect running condition. So when you bring the boat back, 1/2 hour and you are ready to go again.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, just let me know the price. Send me a e mail. So I know and maybe come sooner..
When you stopped here this morning I described to you various kinds of knocking, you told me what you had, and and we determined that your problem was most likely the lower unit. Upon disconnecting the shift rod it was obvious that the shift was binding inside the lower unit.

Well, as I told you on the phone: The pinion broke a tooth which ground up at least 1/3 of the forward gear teeth. When I drained the oil, it came out silver from the steel particles in it so the bearings are contaminated with metal. The reverse gear is also damaged and chips of metal are lodged between the drive clutch and prop shaft splines. This was binding the clutch and making it difficult to go into gear. The chunks even damaged the pinion nut!

As I also told you, there is a good bit of corrosion damage inside the case at the water pick-up. So, The case is useable but marginal. All in all, the whole lower unit is toast, just about the only thing salvageable is the drive shaft.

You are lucky it got you home!

However, On the phone I told you that I did not have a 2 to 1 lower unit---in fact, I forgot about my blue and white 90 sitting in the back of the garage. It has a 2 to 1 in perfect running condition. So when you bring the boat back, 1/2 hour and you are ready to go again.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

This would have given you the answer 4 or 5 days ago :cool:

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was shure it was the LU, but I allways look more deeper so Im not serprised.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quiet with no load was a dead give away. Also, if you get a rattle at idle, or at higher rpms.....it's that driveshaft bearing under the waterpump.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quiet with no load was a dead give away. Also, if you get a rattle at idle, or at higher rpms.....it's that driveshaft bearing under the waterpump.
Thanks for the info. Knowage is power. Ive learn alot from you guys hear on Iboats.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Not quite a dead give away, Robert! Sometimes with loose rod rollers (for whatever reason), the engine will idle fine but upon acceleration, the rollers will slide over the crankpin rather than roll, and give a screetching sound. Sometimes they will rattle. Detonation sounds like a rattle while bad bearings generally sound like a deeper knock. So when someone describes a knock, never assume anything without questioning every possibility.