Johnson 2hp Lower Unit Removal (1972)

MXZ 500

Recruit
Can anyone tell me how to remove the lower unit on my 2hp johnson? I have never had troubles like this in the past. I remover the 4 7/16 bolts holding the lower unit on and the unit dropped 2''. I then removed the water intake tube but can not get the driveshaft to come out. Do i have to remove the powerhead?

~ Thanks

jimmacl

Cadet
Re: Johnson 2hp Lower Unit Removal (1972)

It should just drop down, It's probably "frozen" to the crank. Turn the motor up side down and spray penetrating oil on the drive shaft and let it run down the shaft. Let it sit for a day or two, then try it again. You Can try Tapping the bottom lower unit gently with a dead blow hammer. Careful, the pump pin is the only thing holding the shaft to the bottom end!

jim

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If memory serves me correctly, there's a roll pin at the top of the main shaft. Will need to turn main shaft in till that lines up. It's a blind procedure. If you take your deadblow hammer and hit the lower unit without aligning that up, it will break the roll pin. However, if you do break it, it really won't hurt anything, but replace with new one. Pryor to reinstalling, look up there with a flashlight and you will see what position it has to be in when reinstalling. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I don't see a pin at the top of the drive shaft. #12 is the impeller pin.
convert

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tx1961whaler According to the schematic you are correct and I am wrong! Humph. Guess I'll go now and change out my muffler bearings!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I couldn't remember, so I looked it up. I don't see an o-ring at the top of the drive shaft, either, which may explain the frozen driveshaft. I do know that my 6 hp has the pin up top that has to be aligned.

MXZ 500

Recruit

Thanks a Million guys! This advice really helped. I turned the motor upside down, lifted the powerhead off as high as i could without the lower unit removed and soaked the driveshaft input with Liquid Wrench. After alot of hammering with a punch, finally a block of wood on the lower unit helped me to bang out the driveshaft. I cant believe how rusted it was. You can barely see the splines on the motor end. Thanks!! Dylan.