Tachometer and speedometer not working

qt73937

Cadet
I recently bought a used boat and my tachometer/speedometer was not working (stuck at 6000rpm). I understand that Tach damage can be caused by electrical transients disconnecting the battery with the engine running. I bring this up because it has happened once while the boat was running. I suddenly lost power, shutting down my fish finder, gas gauge, and caused a sputter in the motor. Battery terminals are not loose and battery switch was in the on postion. Everything returned to normal once I switched the battery to off and back on. What can cause my sudden power lost and how to fix? Is my Tach and speedometer gone and need replacement?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Tachometer and speedometer not working

Have you tried a little "percussive repair" on the tach (i.e. smacking the instrument panel near the tach or tapping on the face of the tach itself)? What brand of tach is it? If it's a Faria, they may repair or replace it for a nominal fee if you still can't get it to work.

The speedometer problem is unrelated. Boat speedometers aren't electrical (except for the illumination); they rely on air pressure from a pitot tube (or a comparable setup built into some outdrives).

qt73937

Cadet
Re: Tachometer and speedometer not working

I have tapped on the face of the tach. the brand is facia and I understand they have a limited warranty so I may have to send it to them. thanks for the advice on the speedometer. Any idea on my sudden lost of battery power?